Texas Magic Zone  

Go Back   Texas Magic Zone > Other Stuff > Gamer Blogs!

Old 10-12-2008, 12:37 PM   #91
phuqdao
Everliving Decayed Form
Administrator

phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?
Default Re: Look Hu's Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by binger View Post
The trick with this set is to leave yourself somewhat open.
*Looks at Wes*

Quote:
Pack 2 Godshire went around the table, and I ended up taking it 5th. It's all about reading the signals.
Must be nice...to draft with teams who don't know how to de-draft.

You owe me: ----- I owe you: Jonasdash-$1
phuqdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 12:41 PM   #92
binger
You know who this is
Repeat Contributor

binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.

Andres de-drafted a devour dragon from me. Could have gotten that 4th or 5th pick in the last pack. The guy between us was in red, but he was also in 4 colors with no fixers. Triple red primary isn't that easy to get.
binger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 12:42 PM   #93
phuqdao
Everliving Decayed Form
Administrator

phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?

Quote:
Andres de-drafted a devour dragon from me. Could have gotten that 4th or 5th pick in the last pack. The guy between us was in red, but he was also in 4 colors with no fixers. Triple red primary isn't that easy to get.
Must be nice...to draft with teams who don't know how to de-draft.

You owe me: ----- I owe you: Jonasdash-$1
phuqdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 12:44 PM   #94
Suari
Regaler of stories

Suari , waysr?Suari , waysr?Suari , waysr?Suari , waysr?Suari , waysr?Suari , waysr?Suari , waysr?Suari , waysr?Suari , waysr?Suari , waysr?Suari , waysr?

the bull i think he would have taken, but in retrospect i should have just shipped the dragon.
Suari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 12:45 PM   #95
binger
You know who this is
Repeat Contributor

binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.

He might have taken it, but I don't think he could have played it.

Maybe rawdog dragon and 4-5 mountains? Doesn't seem like a great plan.
Old 10-12-2008, 02:00 PM   #96
binger
You know who this is
Repeat Contributor

PTQ Cardpool

[CARDS]
1 Akrasan Squire
2 Knight of the Skyward Eye
1 Sigiled Paladin
1 Yoked Plowbeast
2 Soul's Grace
1 Oblivion Ring
1 Resounding Silence

1 Bant Charm
1 Waveskimmer Aven

1 Dawnray Archer
1 Outrider of Jhess
1 Filigree Sages
1 Cloudheath Drake
1 Courier's Capsule
1 Call to Heel
1 Memory Erosion
2 Cancel
1 Resounding Wave
1 Coma Veil

1 Tower Gargoyle

2 Dregscape Zombie
1 Glaze Fiend
2 Fleshbag Marauder
1 Sore Snapper
1 Skeletal Kathari
1 Archdemon of Unx
1 Bonesplinter
2 Resounding Scream

1 Kederekt Creeper
1 Sedraxis Specter
1 Swerve
1 Blightning

2 Dragon Fodder
1 Bloodthorn Taunter
1 Viashino Skeleton
1 Thorn-Thrash Viashino
2 Scourge Devil
1 Bloodpyre Elemental
1 Predator Dragon
1 Ridge Rannet

2 Carrion Thrasher
1 Necrogenesis
1 Rip-Clan Crasher

1 Elvish Visionary
1 Cylian Elf
1 Topan Ascetic
1 Court Archers
1 Naya Battlemage
1 Godtoucher
1 Rhox Charger
1 Jungle Weaver
1 Naturalize
1 Gift of the Gargantuan
1 Savage Hunger
1 Soul's Might

1 Qasali Ambusher
1 Steward of Valeron
1 Sigil Blessing

1 Obelisk of Grixis
1 Quietus Spike

1 Grixis Panorama
1 Jund Panorama
1 Naya Panorama
[/CARDS]
Old 10-12-2008, 03:25 PM   #97
Klutz
Mountain Man
Contributor

Klutz , waysr?Klutz , waysr?Klutz , waysr?Klutz , waysr?Klutz , waysr?Klutz , waysr?Klutz , waysr?Klutz , waysr?Klutz , waysr?Klutz , waysr?Klutz , waysr?

Well, after lecturing Thirdguy on not writing long posts in the browser and instead in Notepad, what do I do? I write a long post in Notepad, paste it to the browser, add some comments, submit and it crashes. No problem. Try to tab back to my notepad... and my computer's locked up, with the notepad unsaved. Great.

Anyway, I see a Naya aggro build and a Jund control build. I like the Naya build as a maindeck to catch all the slow 5-color sealed decks off guard, but side into the Jund control vs decks that can handle the early rush.

Naya aggro:
Creatures (18)
1 Akrasan Squire
2 Knight of the Skyward Eye
1 Sigiled Paladin
2 Dragon Fodder
1 Steward of Valeron
1 Rip-Clan Crasher
1 Elvish Visionary
1 Cylian Elf
1 Topan Ascetic
1 Court Archers
1 Naya Battlemage
1 Qasali Ambusher
1 Rhox Charger
2 Scourge Devil
1 Predator Dragon

Spells (5)
1 Sigil Blessing
1 Gift of the Gargantuan
1 Oblivion Ring
1 Resounding Silence
1 Bloodpyre Elemental

Land (17)
7 Plains
4 Forest
4 Mountain
1 Jund Panorama
1 Naya Panorama

Consider 1 Quietus Spike over 1 Plains.

Jund control (splash White for O-Ring and tapper ability):
Creatures (18)
2 Dregscape Zombie
2 Dragon Fodder
1 Elvish Visionary
1 Topan Ascetic
1 Naya Battlemage
2 Fleshbag Marauder
1 Rhox Charger
1 Skeletal Kathari
2 Scourge Devil
2 Carrion Thrasher
1 Predator Dragon
1 Archdemon of Unx
1 Jungle Weaver

Spells (5)
1 Bone Splinter
1 Necrogenesis
1 Gift of the Gargantuan
1 Oblivion Ring
1 Bloodpyre Elemental

Land (17)
1 Grixis Panorama
1 Jund Panorama
1 Naya Panorama
1 Plains
6 Forest
3 Mountain
4 Swamp

This deck might want an 18th land over a Dregscape Zombie, even with the cycler.
Klutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 05:32 AM   #98
binger
You know who this is
Repeat Contributor

What I played:

2 Dragon Fodder
2 Dregscape Zombie
1 Elvish Visionary
1 Cylian Elf
1 Topan Ascetic
1 Naya Battlemage
2 Fleshbag Marauder
1 Thorn-Thrash Viashino
1 Rhox Charger
2 Scourge Devil
1 Bloodpyre Elemental
2 Carrion Thrasher
1 Predator Dragon
1 Archdemon of Unx

1 Bonesplinter
1 Necrogenesis
1 Blightning
1 Gift of the Gargantuan

1 Grixis Panorama
1 Jund Panorama
1 Naya Panorama
4 Forest
5 Mountain
5 Swamp

This version has 2 removal spell plus 2 edicts. Not great by any means. I didn't go white because I didn't want to stretch my manabase any more. I have 7 of each sources, which isn't great, but workable.

I also didn't go with the Naya version. You gain ORing and Naya Battlemage. The white bears are a little better. Black had the unearth 2/1s, which are not that much worse compared to Knight of the Skyward Eye. Black also had the Mauraders and Carrion Thrashers. The manabase is better too.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:02 AM   #99
binger
You know who this is
Repeat Contributor

Round 1

Game 1
We get to the late game with him at 6 and me still pretty high. I have 2 fatties and a random 2/2 dork. He has a 6/6 Hydra and the 5/3 firststrike dude. I see the game slipping away.

He draws, think for a couple of seconds, and plays land #8. Then he makes some wise-ass remark about getting to land #8. I'm pretty sure he's holding land #9 in his hand. There's nothing to think about if you have a cycler in hand. You just play land #8 as soon as you draw it. If he had anything he would have played it during his turn. I'm pretty sure he paused to think about whether it was better to hold 2 lands to bluff or to play one because of the hydra.

On my turn I go for it. I unearth Dregescape Zombie and play Scourge Devil from my hand. He blocks my 2 fatties and my dorks take him from 6 to 0.

Game 2
I mulligan a hand with Mountain, Dragon Fodder, 2 Dregescape Zombies, Blightning, and something else. I peak on top and there was Mr. Swamp with Jund Panorama right after.

I somewhat stablize in the midgame with about 6 life and more creatures than my opponent. He peels Titanium Ultimatum.

Game 3
I choose to draw. He plays the 2/2 GW elf on turn 2. I do nothing. He plays land and attacks on turn 3. Then he passes. I mentally pump my fist because that stupid elf scares the crap out of me. On my turn I drop Marauders to edict him. He misses land drop #4 during his turn. I'm dancing in my mind at this time.

I kill him fairly quickly because he didn't have a 3 or 4 drop. Learn the curve. Love the curve.

At this point Andres and I won our first round, while Chris and Scott lost. Not a great record for the car.

Round 2

Game 1
He wins the die roll and chooses to play. Fist pump. He drops 2/2 haste guy on turn 2 and I go to 18. I play a Dregescape Zombie on my turn. He doesn't attack and plays Dragon Fodder. I can't attack either and I play my own Dragon Fodder.

On his turn he drops Algae Gharial and attacks with everyone. At this point I think I'm done. I still have double Scourge Devil in my hand so I think I might be able to race. Needless to say he curves out perfectly afterwards as well. I drop Carrion Thrasher on my turn and he kills it on his with Bloodpyre Elemental. I can race a 1/1 Gharial, but not a 3/3 Gharial.

Game 2
I choose to draw which could have been a mistake. I don't think I his deck if he curves out. Giving him one less card lowers that possibility. So he basically drops Fodder on turn 2 and the 1/1 Devour 3 guy on turn 3. I'm playing black so I could have Excutioner's Capsule. Fuck my crappy pool. Anyways, jerkface offers the classic good game after he curves out both game. I really wish people in this game would learn some manners. Good games are not acceptable after mana screws, mana floods(a little harder to read), curving out, and top decking.

Anyways, he was wearing one of those team t-shirts. The ones that tell the world that you have friends, you know, just in case they think you don't. I'm thinking about buying a t-shirt that say "I have a home...with electricity...and water...and I eat 3 meals a day." What a loser.

I think everyone else won this round. Honestly I don't really care at this point. At least I have a home.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:37 AM   #100
binger
You know who this is
Repeat Contributor

Round 3

Game 1
He tells me afterwards that this was his first tournament. By his plays during the round, I kinda figured it out. He wins the die roll and choose to play. Normally I'm pumping my first because of this, but after what happened last round, I'm a little hesitant. I also mulligan one time.

On his turn 3 he has 3 different lands out, but play nothing. This pretty much tells me he didn't build his deck correctly or he has nothing but removal in his hand. On my turn I drop Topan Ascetic and pass the turn. He get a wide smile on his face, so I'm pretty sure my Ascetic is dying to Resounding Thunder or Branching Bolt. Instead he aims a Magma Spray at it. I tap him to pump himself.

On turn 4 he drops a land and does nothing again. On my turn I play a Dregescape Zombie so I can hit for an extra point of damage. I attack with my Ascetic and the guy gets that same retarded smile on his face again. He drops Ambusher for free and goes to block. I pump with Zombie to wipe that goofy smile off his face. I guess every city has a David. At this point I let my guard down, because there's no way I can lose after he threw 2 cards away for nothing. My hand still had Carrion Thrasher plus the land to cast it.

Game 2
I mulligan again, and I win somehow.

Round 4

Game 1

I make him play first after winning the roll. He goes turn Esper Battlemage and I edict both of us on my turn. He plays Obelisk on this turn and I drop Dragon Fodder. On his turn he plays Marauder to kill one of my token. On my turn I drop Carrion Thrasher. He does nothing again on his turn, but had access to white mana.

Around this time I asked him how many cards he had in his hand. His response was, "5, oh nvm, I meant 4." He didn't fan his cards out, but I was still able to count it. It was 5. I did a little quick math and it turns out he should have 4 cards in his hand. I'm 90% sure he drew an extra card somewhere along the line. However I had a much superior board position at this time. I'm pretty sure he doesn't have Resounding Silence because his white source was from an obelisk. I decided to attack anyways and sure enough he took a bunch of damage. At this time I decided not to call a judge and just watch him more closely next game.

I drop Necrogenesis on my turn with enough mana to make a couple of guys. I follow that up with a Scourge Devil causing him to scoop.

Oh, he also flashed Broodmate Dragon from his hand. I don't think he did this on purpose, as I saw it for brief second.

Game 2

I get in for some early damage before he stablizes. I have a 4/4 Thorn-Trash Viashino and a 6/6 Predator Dragon. I'm holding Unx in my hand. On his turn he plays the Broodmate Dragon I saw last game. He's still at 10.

Plan A: I thought about attacking with both creatures. He pretty much has to double block my dragon with his and take 4 in the process. Then I could drop Unx, force him to chump next turn because he's at 6 now. End up with a couple of 2/2 zombies by the end of the exchange. I wasn't sure that was the best plan.

Plan B: I also thought about not attacking at all that turn. If I play Unx, I can sac my 4/4 next turn. Attack with Unx forces either a double block or he goes down to 4. If he double blocks I have a 6/6 dragon staring at his 4/4 dragon. If he goes down to 4, I can sac Unx next turn and attack with my predator dragon and 2/2 zombie. This puts him at 2 with a single dragon while I have 2 zombies in play. Assuming neither of us draw anything, this play kills him.

Of course I went with plan C. I attacked with my 4/4 to see what he would do. If he went down to 6, I can drop Unx. If he trades, I can try to ride the bigger dragon advantage. Instead he soul's fire my 4/4. I guess it's good that didn't play Unx. Of course the next turn I draw Bloodpyre Elemental. I kill off a dragon and attack with my. He takes 6, goes to 4 and draws nothing for the next couple of turns.

Last edited by binger; 10-13-2008 at 08:00 AM.