Texas Magic Zone  

Go Back   Texas Magic Zone > Other Stuff > Gamer Blogs!

Old 10-13-2008, 02:45 PM   #141
binger
You know who this is
Repeat Contributor

binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.
Default Re: Look Hu's Talking

Just posted this on Salvation. I'm double dippin', I know.

Quote:
This is a brand new theory, let me know what you think.

Pack 1
On color
tri-lands: 4th-6th
panoramas: 4th-6th
obelisks: 7th-12th

Off color(2 color)
tri-lands: 5th-6th
panoramas: 5th-7th
obelisks: 9th-15th

Basically in pack 1 you usually don't know how your deck is going to end up. There's no point wasting a high pick on a fixer.

Pack 2
On color
tri-lands: 2nd-4th
panoramas: 3rd-5th

Off color(2 color)
tri-lands: 3rd-5th
panoramas: 3rd-6th

Be aggressive when taking fixers in the second pack. You know where you're headed now. I think most decks want 3-5 fixers to run super smooth. A 3 color deck without fixers will generally run into color problems in 1 out of 3 rounds.

The last pack depends heavily on how many fixers you have already. Either value them super high, or around mid pick.
binger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 03:14 PM   #142
Tsung
Yosemite?
Repeat Contributor

Tsung , waysr?Tsung , waysr?Tsung , waysr?Tsung , waysr?Tsung , waysr?Tsung , waysr?Tsung , waysr?Tsung , waysr?Tsung , waysr?Tsung , waysr?Tsung , waysr?

When you say off-color, do you mean that it can at least provide 2 out of 3 colors for your deck, or really just any color to leave the possibility of splashing?

I haven't been as impressed with the tri-lands. They're the best when they're like one of the first 3 lands you play, but if you're waiting on a certain 3rd or 4th color, nothing like getting walked by a late citp land that doesn't even thin.
Tsung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 03:18 PM   #143
binger
You know who this is
Repeat Contributor

binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.

If you need 4 different colors, as long as it provides 2, that's how high I would take it.

You're wrong about the tri-lands by the way. They are super fantastic. I think the only time they are worse than panoramas is if you draw them turn 6 and need land #6 for a 6 drop.

If you peel a tri-land turn 3 or 4, you should either have a land that doesn't come into play tapped or a play that requires 1 less mana.

Panoramas cost 2 mana. Tri-lands cost 1.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:09 PM   #144
HavoKDarK
Have A Nice Day!

HavoKDarK , waysr?HavoKDarK , waysr?HavoKDarK , waysr?HavoKDarK , waysr?HavoKDarK , waysr?HavoKDarK , waysr?HavoKDarK , waysr?HavoKDarK , waysr?HavoKDarK , waysr?HavoKDarK , waysr?HavoKDarK , waysr?
Send a message via AIM to HavoKDarK

Theres like only 3 credible players in Louisiana, the rest are all chaffe.
HavoKDarK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 10:20 PM   #145
phuqdao
Everliving Decayed Form
Administrator

phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?

Quote:
Originally Posted by binger View Post
Side rant: maximizing your luck.

I know Phu likes to complain that I got lucky with that Godshire in the second pack. What he fails to realize is I created a situation to allow that to happen. By staying fairly open in the first pack, I was able to move into Naya when I got the late game signal to do so. Any Naya bomb opened in the second or third pack had my name written on it short of a hate-draft. This is also not an enviornment where you can hate draft more than once. It's hard to build 23 card deck with proper mana fixing. I find that I'm right around the 23 card mark in almost every draft. In other formats I've seen 27-30 solid playables. Granted most of the times this happens at the begining of a set.

Let's look at another example. Phu loves to be greedy and draft 5 colors. This sets him up for packs 2 and 3. If he opens any bomb, he'll be able to take it. While many people look at his pack and tell him how lucky he is for opening a bomb, he set himself up for such an occassion. If you can play every bomb opened, all you have to do is open a bomb.

End rant.
Counter rant

So when you do it it's "created a situation to allow it to happen", but when I do it with people standing behind me watching my draft it's just "dumb luck."

Example 1: when I am only drafting 3 colors, and the only Naya drafter at the table, and get passed Titanic Ultimatum, I'm just so lucky.

Example 2: when I first pick Tower Gargoyle, second pick Esper Charm, stay heavy in UB with near end of pack one picks Grixis and Esper Obelisks and Panoramas; then open a Flameblast Dragon and roll with it because the rest of the table already told me UBx was open, and end up splashing Tower Gargoyle and O-Ring with someone looking over my shoulder the entire draft as I table all the cards I call out that would table...I'm just sooo lucky.

Example 3: when I draft the low curve deck in an otherwise very top heavy 2v2 pool, and smash both of my opponents in a 2v2 before Demone can even begin to whine about how he lost to Sarkhan Vol.....I'm just sooooo lucky.

End counter rant

You owe me: ----- I owe you: Jonasdash-$1
phuqdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 10:44 PM   #146
GodzillaScott
Hiding in fog.

GodzillaScott , waysr?GodzillaScott , waysr?GodzillaScott , waysr?GodzillaScott , waysr?GodzillaScott , waysr?GodzillaScott , waysr?GodzillaScott , waysr?GodzillaScott , waysr?GodzillaScott , waysr?GodzillaScott , waysr?GodzillaScott , waysr?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phuqdao View Post
Counter rant

So when you do it it's "created a situation to allow it to happen", but when I do it with people standing behind me watching my draft it's just "dumb luck."

Example 1: when I am only drafting 3 colors, and the only Naya drafter at the table, and get passed Titanic Ultimatum, I'm just so lucky.

Example 2: when I first pick Tower Gargoyle, second pick Esper Charm, stay heavy in UB with near end of pack one picks Grixis and Esper Obelisks and Panoramas; then open a Flameblast Dragon and roll with it because the rest of the table already told me UBx was open, and end up splashing Tower Gargoyle and O-Ring with someone looking over my shoulder the entire draft as I table all the cards I call out that would table...I'm just sooo lucky.

Example 3: when I draft the low curve deck in an otherwise very top heavy 2v2 pool, and smash both of my opponents in a 2v2 before Demone can even begin to whine about how he lost to Sarkhan Vol.....I'm just sooooo lucky.

End counter rant
My version:

Quote:
Counter-Rant

Instant

Counter target rant and all rants that are somewhat relevant.
Buy some fries from Wingstop.
Share the fries with fellow players.
GodzillaScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 04:38 AM   #147
binger
You know who this is
Repeat Contributor

Counter counter rant:

People don't like you.

/counter counter rant.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:42 AM   #148
phuqdao
Everliving Decayed Form
Administrator

phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?

Quote:
Originally Posted by binger View Post
Counter counter rant:

People don't like you.

/counter counter rant.
I have no tact, I'm cold as fuck, and, God damn it, people don't like me!

Old 10-14-2008, 07:45 AM   #149
phuqdao
Everliving Decayed Form
Administrator

Anyhu,

Quote:
Originally Posted by binger
Pack 1
On color
tri-lands: 4th-6th
panoramas: 4th-6th

Off color(2 color)
tri-lands: 5th-6th
panoramas: 5th-7th

Pack 2
On color
tri-lands: 2nd-4th
panoramas: 3rd-5th

Off color(2 color)
tri-lands: 3rd-5th
panoramas: 3rd-6th

The last pack depends heavily on how many fixers you have already. Either value them super high, or around mid pick.
I like this guideline pick order better than where you previously had them at.

People still need to remember this is a guideline though. If you see cards you should not see during these picks, you still take those first.

I think the last pack also depends on what color(s) everyone is in and how high they have been taking fixing.

P.S. Still cathcing up on posts from yesterday.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:57 AM   #150
binger
You know who this is
Repeat Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by phuqdao View Post

P.S. Still cathcing up on posts from yesterday.

I started a club.