Texas Magic Zone  

Go Back   Texas Magic Zone > Other Stuff > Gamer Blogs!

Old 01-03-2013, 06:13 AM   #5001
binger
You know who this is
Repeat Contributor

binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.
Default Re: Look Hu's Talking

More good news arrived since I started being nice. More people should try it.

My supervisor pulled me in today to let me know that my last day on this job is the 25th. I know I said the job is suppose to be over at the end of April, but apparently we're phased out little by little. A few of the engineers who have been on this job a lot longer are leaving in Feb and March. It's my first field job and I thought everyone left at the same time lol. I need to let the apartment know that I plan to move out in about a month the day after I moved my lease to month to month.

We had a really good chat too. He asked what my plans were and I said that I really enjoyed this job and the learning experience it provided. Per diem is nice too. I wouldn't mind doing another field job or two in the near future. When you're behind a desk designing stuff, you're doing the same things everyday. We covered a bunch of different problems on this job, and being in the refinery gives you a different perspective of things. Issues that are not very apparent while sitting behind a desk are glaring once they flare up in the field.

My boss basically said that being on the field can be tough on the family(not an issue right now). He also mentioned that it's a good idea to keep in touch with the Houston office so I don't get phased out. It's better to do a few design jobs and 1 field job than being in the field all the time. The engineering market is a lot more competitive than it was 20 years ago. Job security can become an issue.

He's basically going to contact the home office and facilitate my transition to the next assignment. I'm looking forward to coming home for at least a while and missing part of the Chicago winter. Here's to hoping that it doesn't snow from now until the beginning of Feb.

binger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:29 AM   #5002
binger
You know who this is
Repeat Contributor

binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.

Here's a little gem I learned over the holidays. Our friend Beef and Broccoli Billy had a little snafu coming back home for the holidays. His mom and my mom are friends so I get these juicy stories from time to time. Apparently he booked his trip home on Saturday Dec 22. A couple of weeks before the holidays his supervisor asked what his holiday plans were. Keep in mind we're not suppose to take a ton of time off during this period. Billy gave the dates and his supervisor flat out told him no. He needed to come in to work on the 22nd.

$600 and another plane ticket later Billy learned his lesson. Yes going over your plans with your supervisor before purchasing a ticket is a good idea in the real world. Yes changing the date of the flight would have been cheaper. Yes this fortune cookie taste just like the ones they make back in China.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:11 AM   #5003
Pandaman

Pandaman , waysr?Pandaman , waysr?Pandaman , waysr?Pandaman , waysr?Pandaman , waysr?Pandaman , waysr?Pandaman , waysr?Pandaman , waysr?Pandaman , waysr?Pandaman , waysr?Pandaman , waysr?

Moral of the story: When life gives you beef and broccoli, you make stew.
Pandaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:18 AM   #5004
grimlock
I'm On Big Brother!
Repeat Contributor

grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.
Send a message via AIM to grimlock Send a message via Skype™ to grimlock

Where are you going to live Bing? I had planned on moving in with Will in early Feb after Ty moves out.
grimlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:21 AM   #5005
binger
You know who this is
Repeat Contributor

No idea. I can stay with my mom for a while, but that's not a permanent solution. We can be roomies again if you want.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:25 AM   #5006
binger
You know who this is
Repeat Contributor

Actually I need to find out if I'm going back to the Houston office or going somewhere else for assignment. I have no idea when they'll let me know. If I had to guess I'd say a couple of weeks max. Don't let me stop you from moving in with Will and gaining that understanding few people have before.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:31 AM   #5007
binger
You know who this is
Repeat Contributor

One thing I noticed is that per diem adds up. I probably have more in my bank account now as I did when I first got laid off. I had enough for the downpayment of a house back then. So basically working 7 month in the field = more money saved than working almost 3 years in the Houston office.

I'm not sure what I would prefer right now. Make X and live in Houston or make X + Y and work out in the fields. If Y was roughly $10K-$15K it would be really close. Then again it might not be my decision.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:39 AM   #5008
Ophidian
I'm always angry
Repeat Contributor

Ophidian , waysr?Ophidian , waysr?Ophidian , waysr?Ophidian , waysr?Ophidian , waysr?Ophidian , waysr?Ophidian , waysr?Ophidian , waysr?Ophidian , waysr?Ophidian , waysr?Ophidian , waysr?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandaman View Post
Moral of the story: When life gives you beef and broccoli, you make stew.
Uh oh
Ophidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:21 AM   #5009
dp!
im so cute

dp! , waysr?dp! , waysr?dp! , waysr?dp! , waysr?dp! , waysr?dp! , waysr?dp! , waysr?dp! , waysr?dp! , waysr?dp! , waysr?dp! , waysr?

for me it would easily be field work i think. not only more money but going to different places. no doubt you spent most of your time working but at least youve experienced how chicago is like

of course im forever alone guy so being in houston is different for us
dp! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:24 AM   #5010
grimlock
I'm On Big Brother!
Repeat Contributor

grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.
Send a message via AIM to grimlock Send a message via Skype™ to grimlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by binger View Post
Actually I need to find out if I'm going back to the Houston office or going somewhere else for assignment. I have no idea when they'll let me know. If I had to guess I'd say a couple of weeks max. Don't let me stop you from moving in with Will and gaining that understanding few people have before.
I've already given my move out notice so I'm definitely moving in with Will. I was just curious what your thoughts were. Are you going to live closer to Fluor?
grimlock is offline   Reply With Quote