Texas Magic Zone  

Go Back   Texas Magic Zone > Other Stuff > Gamer Blogs!

Old 08-29-2014, 10:44 PM   #7051
phuqdao
Everliving Decayed Form
Administrator

phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?
Default Re: Look Hu's Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by binger View Post
Yisan with zero 1 drops suck. Yisan for constricting sliver then hornet Queen with sliver hive in play does not suck. FNM sucks.
????

You owe me: ----- I owe you: Jonasdash-$1
phuqdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 01:28 AM   #7052
skeletalpeacock
Takes Credit & Dank Meme
Repeat Contributor

skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.
Send a message via AIM to skeletalpeacock

Quote:
Yisan with zero 1 drops suck. Yisan for constricting sliver then hornet Queen with sliver hive in play does not suck. FNM sucks.
Drafted a deck with 11 uncommons and 3 rares at heroes. Not remotely a real draft.

Had to defeat oakley to remain x-1 for prize. That loss put Oakley narrowly behind phu in the race.

How is Phu so lucky? He wasn't even there and he was winning.
skeletalpeacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 02:14 AM   #7053
urafever
Atlas Flame

urafever , waysr?urafever , waysr?urafever , waysr?urafever , waysr?urafever , waysr?urafever , waysr?urafever , waysr?urafever , waysr?urafever , waysr?urafever , waysr?urafever , waysr?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeletalpeacock View Post
Drafted a deck with 11 uncommons and 3 rares at heroes. Not remotely a real draft.
Planet heroes.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:23 AM   #7054
binger
You know who this is
Repeat Contributor

binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phuqdao View Post
????
My deck had Yisan. I didn't have a 1 drop. I did have Constructing Sliver, Queen, and Sliver Hive.

binger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:27 PM   #7055
binger
You know who this is
Repeat Contributor

binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.

http://www.reddit.com/r/spikes/comme...ce_between_my/

Quote:
To give some context, I have Top 8'd over 50% of the PTQs I have attended, I've Day 2'd Grand Prix's, top 24'd SCG Opens (standard and legacy) and more. I am very happy with the progress I'm making in constructed play, and I'm working on improving all the time.

I have a huge issue, though, with limited. My limited game is HORRIBLE. We're talking 0-3 at FNM horrible. I went over to my friend's house last night for M15 sealed, and I'm playing with guys who are too scared to play in local tournaments, and I'm sitting across from them, watching them making the worst blocks imaginable, horrible plays, and yet they CRUSH me with their "M15 Rat sealed deck".

I don't know what it is. My whole life I've not been a creative person. I can't think of new things, if that makes sense. I've never built a successful constructed deck on my own, nor can I even tweak them. Any change I make is always for the worse. I just netdeck, then take the deck and have a pretty good amount of success with it.

Because of this...I honestly don't know what to do. I am so discouraged by my limited non-skills that I don't even go to limited PTQs anymore, as I always just 0-3 drop. When people ask me to stay after to draft, I don't, because I'm too embarrassed. I'm kind of 'known' around my area as the 'guy to beat' in constructed, and when I get demolished by 10 year old kids in draft it just humiliates me.

This might be more of a life question than just an MTG question, but am I just stuck always being where I am because I'm not a creative, 'think outside of the box' person?

Every time a new set comes out, I think "this is it. This is the set where I'll figure out limited." Then, I spend ~$200 drafting online and in stores, get lucky if I win a handful of games, let alone matches, and I get discouraged and stop. If I take a deck from an SCG Open or a GP, then try to tweak it, every change I make makes the deck strictly worse than it was before.

Sorry for the long post. I just don't know where else to turn. My #1 desire is to have success in Magic. I want to be on the Pro Tour train, chaining GP top 8's, and I feel like I have the playskill capabilities to get there one day (of course I still have a lot to learn), so I don't just want to give up, but I dunno what to do anymore.
This is why I think limited is a much more skill intensive format than constructed. If you're fairly smart you can become an above average constructed player in half a year. Put in the time and you're there. That's not possible for limited. This fucker Phu Q Dao is still schooling niggas at M15 while drafting rares.

To be fair he's probably the 4th best limited player in Texas.

Old 09-02-2014, 04:01 PM   #7056
grimlock
I'm On Big Brother!
Repeat Contributor

grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.
Send a message via AIM to grimlock Send a message via Skype™ to grimlock

Quote:
http://www.reddit.com/r/spikes/comme...ce_between_my/

This is why I think limited is a much more skill intensive format than constructed. If you're fairly smart you can become an above average constructed player in half a year. Put in the time and you're there. That's not possible for limited. This fucker Phu Q Dao is still schooling niggas at M15 while drafting rares.

To be fair he's probably the 4th best limited player in Texas.
Because McAllen is in Mexico?
grimlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 04:04 PM   #7057
binger
You know who this is
Repeat Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock View Post
Because McAllen is in Mexico?
I'll take Phu over Sam.

Old 09-02-2014, 04:08 PM   #7058
grimlock
I'm On Big Brother!
Repeat Contributor

grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.
Send a message via AIM to grimlock Send a message via Skype™ to grimlock

Quote:
I'll take Phu over Sam.
Ohhhh...because Phu is Asian right? Gotta stick together?
grimlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 04:22 PM   #7059
binger
You know who this is
Repeat Contributor

Like it's close. Phu stopped team drafting and that hurt his game. I doubt it hurt his game as much as moving from Austin to McAllen. Phu does has the team draft record to back it up. Let's just say the difference between the 3rd and 4th best limited player in Texas is a lot wider than the difference between the 4th and 5th.

Phu is also very good at math.

Old 09-02-2014, 04:23 PM   #7060
phuqdao
Everliving Decayed Form
Administrator

phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?

Quote:
Phu is also very good at math.
There's a reason Andres always said I got better at the game the more complicated it got...fuck basic math.

You owe me: ----- I owe you: Jonasdash-$1
phuqdao is offline   Reply With Quote