Texas Magic Zone  

Go Back   Texas Magic Zone > Other Stuff > Gamer Blogs!

Old 11-25-2015, 08:43 AM   #7491
binger
You know who this is
Repeat Contributor

binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.
Default Re: Look Hu's Talking

We have an office in Manila who does some of the basic CAD work. As a result we have quite a few Philippines working in the Houston office. One person is going back home for Thanksgiving.

"You're not flying Malaysia Airline are you? Wait, I guess that isn't very funny."

binger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 02:35 PM   #7492
binger
You know who this is
Repeat Contributor

binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.

I've been working on underground drawing for the past 8 month. Basically my job is to route underground pipelines and make sure it's not hitting other pipelines, electrical ducts, foundations, etc. I sent out a drawing yesterday for other departments to look at. Basically civil is suppose to make sure make sure roads are in the right place and we're not doing anything unsafe. Same thing with electrical and the other departments.

I got my drawing back today with the guy asking me to make sure the pipes aren't hitting any of the foundations. Wtf? I did that already. It's your job to check my work. I double checked my work already. Civil has up to date info that I don't always have access to. They have guidelines that I don't know about. Damn civil. Do your own work.

This is literally like some dude asking me to play their turn for them in Magic sans the Mind Slaver.

Don't get me started on chemical engineers. I'll save those guys for another day.

Old 12-16-2015, 02:50 PM   #7493
Tsung
Yosemite?
Repeat Contributor

Tsung , waysr?Tsung , waysr?Tsung , waysr?Tsung , waysr?Tsung , waysr?Tsung , waysr?Tsung , waysr?Tsung , waysr?Tsung , waysr?Tsung , waysr?Tsung , waysr?

So what happened?

Tsung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 03:29 PM   #7494
binger
You know who this is
Repeat Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsung View Post
So what happened?
Nothing basically. I was just complaining to complain. This specific drawing is out in the middle of nowhere so there's nothing around it. We send out all drawings before issuing it to cover our asses. Most of the issues we run into we'll work out with the other departments first. These checks are more of a formality.

He could have written no comment on it, but I did it for him. Maybe the guy was trying to delegate work and seeing what he can get away with. If it was any more complicated I would have sent it back to his supervisor.

Old 12-16-2015, 04:00 PM   #7495
Cecilia Jupe
Big Mac
Contributor

Cecilia Jupe is untouchable.Cecilia Jupe is untouchable.Cecilia Jupe is untouchable.Cecilia Jupe is untouchable.Cecilia Jupe is untouchable.Cecilia Jupe is untouchable.Cecilia Jupe is untouchable.Cecilia Jupe is untouchable.Cecilia Jupe is untouchable.Cecilia Jupe is untouchable.Cecilia Jupe is untouchable.
Send a message via AIM to Cecilia Jupe

those Civils!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Master View Post
Stop being an ass.
Cecilia Jupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 04:05 PM   #7496
binger
You know who this is
Repeat Contributor

Definitely had a "is Haibing Hu going to have to choke a bitch" moment.

Old 12-16-2015, 04:11 PM   #7497
skeletalpeacock
Takes Credit & Dank Meme
Repeat Contributor

skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.
Send a message via AIM to skeletalpeacock

thats every office right?

theres always some fuckhead trying to forward their work to everyone else, often without even adding a body to the fucking email

though its usually middle management
skeletalpeacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 04:29 PM   #7498
binger
You know who this is
Repeat Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeletalpeacock View Post
thats every office right?

theres always some fuckhead trying to forward their work to everyone else, often without even adding a body to the fucking email

though its usually middle management
Yes and no. Middle management does it and you kind of have to work on it. What happens is the other stuff is taking longer and other middle managers wonder what the fuck is going on. Tell them you're stretched too thin when everyone is giving you stuff to do. Then they battle it out and whatever is more important usually wins out. Construction has deadlines and bonuses are affected by meeting those dates.

Other than this incident it hasn't happened much around here. We're all fairly specialized so it's not exactly easy to pawn off work on someone else. On top of that there's usually a straight chain of command. Like if civil dude gave me actual work to do, I would have talked to my supervisor to make sure it's something I should spend time on when I can be trying to get upvotes on reddit.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:09 PM   #7499
phuqdao
Everliving Decayed Form
Administrator

phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?

Quote:
Originally Posted by binger View Post
Do your own work.
Don't get me started on chemical engineers. I'll save those guys for another day.
Don't even.

I get a minimum of a question an hour while at work that has nothing to do with anything near my discipline or projects I am assigned to (outside of cross discipline support and squad checks).
It has been openly admitted people rely heavily on me to pick up things on squad checks...even those I am not responsible for, because when I sign-off on a drawing I bothered to look at it...the whole thing.
Last week I had to mark up an Electrical area class because Electrical forgot to hash one of the sumps (i.e. hole in the ground) Class I Div. I. Can it be simpler to identify? Hole in the ground. Pump designated as "Sump" pump indicating hole in the ground.

You owe me: ----- I owe you: Jonasdash-$1
phuqdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 11:00 AM   #7500
sage.sam
I'm yer huckleberry
Repeat Contributor

sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?

Reminded me of your co-worker discussions.

Quote:
Co-Worker: Gingers have no soul
Random Ginger: Thatís not true... we have a lot of souls because we steel them from non-gingers.
sage.sam is offline   Reply With Quote