Texas Magic Zone  

Go Back   Texas Magic Zone > Other Stuff > Gamer Blogs!

Old 05-27-2016, 09:40 PM   #7541
HavoKDarK
Have A Nice Day!

HavoKDarK , waysr?HavoKDarK , waysr?HavoKDarK , waysr?HavoKDarK , waysr?HavoKDarK , waysr?HavoKDarK , waysr?HavoKDarK , waysr?HavoKDarK , waysr?HavoKDarK , waysr?HavoKDarK , waysr?HavoKDarK , waysr?
Send a message via AIM to HavoKDarK
Default Re: Look Hu's Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage.sam View Post

It's FMM, so USC-Minor doesn't exist.
I didn't read FNM context, I always assume if people ask questions it's pertaining to Competitive.
HavoKDarK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 12:43 AM   #7542
binger
You know who this is
Repeat Contributor

binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.

EMA PPTQ

I hate PPTQs. I love limited. The more things change the more things stay the same. I got into Austin Thursday night. There's a midnight prerelease, technically not a prerelease, at one of the shops in town. I was a little tired from the drive and decided not to go. There were multiple FNM EMA drafts the next day.

I talked Tsung into playing in the one on Friday even though he expressed disinterest in Magic. This worked perfected as it allowed us to eat beforehand at the Mexican restaurant next door. We showed up about an hour early and I was able to get 3 happy hour XX before the start of the tournament.

I opened Vamp Tutor and foil Cabal Therapy. I tried to look up the price for both cards, but the guy to my left complained. Whatever, too late. Vamp is 20ish and normal Therapy is 7. Vamp it is.

I ended up with an unexciting UB deck with multiple land cycler in each color, some removal, manowars, ragers, and a grave digger. I had an Eyeblight, Annihilate, and 2 Silent departures for the removal package.

I won round one on my superior play skills. This is basically how the weekend played out. Round 2 I lost to a solid RG deck. The guy was passing to me and had 2 Firebolts, Chain Lightning, Pyromancer, and Bloodbraid. My deck was just too slow for that. My final round was against the guy who told me to put my phone away. He was in mono black somehow after me. It wasn't close. During his turns I checked facebook to see if my friends were up to anything more fun.

I got 2 packs for my effort. Tsung made out like a bandit with 5 packs 3-0ing his pod. He did not thank me for talking him into playing. Luckily he drove my drunk ass home.

Saturday was uneventful. A few month ago Demone stayed over at my place and slept in my living room on my air mattress. He moved over to Aryeh's a few weeks later and took the air mattress without asking, not that I would have had to balls to tell Demone no. Aryeh has 3 cats not counting his wife. When I got the air mattress back there were duct tape at various places. Whatever, I can afford another one.

My mom went back to China on, I guess, her bi annual trip. I picked her up from the airport and dropped her off at her town home. As we drove up I saw that half the building was burnt down. She's in town home #5. #1, #2, and #3 were gone. #4 had some damage. Her unit was undamaged. She didn't have power, so she stayed with me for a few weeks. I got another air mattress.

When I got to Tsung's I noticed this air mattress was leaking too. WTF? This is why we can't have nice things. I took things slow on Saturday because I wasn't well rested. We hit up a Chinese buffet Saturday night, and it was awesome. The original restaurant burned down under suspicious circumstances. Don't they all? They opened up a new place much further south. It's a Chinese Buffett with sushi and some interesting options. I stuffed myself and fell asleep into a food coma. Unfortunately I woke up at 1am the day of the PPTQ. I tried to fall back asleep, but it was futile.

Luckily Tsung's apartment has an indoor basketball court. I got an early morning workout before the PPTQ. Normally I shoot around, do layup drills, and cool down in between with some freethrows. I have a decent shot, but I'm roughly a 60% free throw shooter when it comes down to it. That day I hit 8-10, 8-10, 6-10, and 9-10. I was on fucking fire. I was feeling good driving to the tournament.

EMA is a little weird in that there are money cards and people are prone to drop if they open well. Wizards combated this by having players keep the cards they open. One side of the table opened their cards first while the other side of the table watched. The other side registered your deck. Vice versa and we're ready to go.

I ended up with an unexciting RG deck. I opened Mana Crypt and nothing else.

The deck made me want to cry. Elephant Guide is very risky. Blue has Silent Departure and Manowar. White has Pacifism and Faith. Green can Roots it. Red and black has instant speed removal that you can play around. It might have been fantastic in previous formats, but it's not here. My goal is to randomly get people. Kird Ape and Boarderland Marauders are great if you curve out with it, but horrible otherwise. Emperor Croc is a hard card to play. I had to keep it in my hand when my I only had 1 other creature in play. Don't get 2 for 1 when you can play around it.

I won round 1 vs some guy. He had Nekataal, Gravedigger, and Duplicant but I got around it somehow. Limited is so much easier than constructed.

Round 2 Game 1 he played Mogg war Marshall and forgot to get the 1/1 goblin token. He tried on my turn and I told him this is Comp REL. I'm not sure he understood, but the end product is he didn't put a 1/1 into play. A turn later he chumped with the War Marshall and fail in life again. I don't know what to say to that. I won eventually. I lost to double Nekataal, Gravedigger, Duplicant, and Visara in games 2 and 3. Yeah these decks are good in sealed.

Round 3 I won vs someone guy. I think this was the round where I kept Crypt, Forest, Mountain, Mountain, 2/1 elf, and Avarax on the draw. I led off with the 2/1, played nothing on turn 2, and Avarax Avarax the following 2 turns. I won the first 3 flips and then lost the next 3 before I won, for those wondering. After that match I boarded out Crypt for the second Milikin. Crypt allows your opponent to play in a certain way, and both serve virtually the same purpose. It's a little slower, but lets me put Firebolt, Sylvan Might, and the rare into my graveyard.

Round 4 I beat Tony Ho. He got land screwed game 1 while choosing to draw. I aggroed him out. Game 2 he mulled to 5. I'm 3-1 with 2 rounds left to play. I got paired up. The math worked out in my favor. I talked my undefeated opponent into scooping to me. We were both able to draw the following round. I always find it weird when people aren't able to do tiebreaker math. It's literally elementary my dear. So a few weeks ago I found my old report cards and the thing I took away from it was I was terribly upset anytime I got less than a 95 in math. I felt like I let my people down.

I drew round 6 into 8th place.

The draft was great. I first picked Carbonize out of a meh pack. Took the white Cohort second, red Honden 3rd, and Squarder Hawk 4th. I like taking the Hawk early, because picking up 3+ is insane. I thought I was in RW, more controlling than Rally the fuck out of you. I picked up a green Honden 5th to keep my options open. I felt like I was getting cut from one of the colors. I ended up with another white Cohort and some other playable in white, but ultimately it was not the droids I was looking for. The worst pick I made was taking a Chain Lightning over a white Honden. The white Honden was sooooo good in my deck given that I had 2 already. It let me get to the late game where I'm bound to draw the 3rd one. Luckily it tables. Not only do I have early game protection, but I'm also able to Honden people out. Sometimes you hit 9 out of 10 free throws.

The gang were team drafting after I finished mine. I showed everyone; I was pretty excited. The deck was nuts. I probably have a 60% edge on play skills alone. This was confirmed after I finished my matches quickly and watching others play. Moakley was in the top 8 with me but I posted the draft deck in Slack anyways.

I had a weak early game, but I'm not losing the long game. Luckily nobody had a great early game. Those that did got shut down by T3 red Honden. Round 1 I played against a pretty good elf deck. T3 red Honden and T4 or 5 white one locked him out of the game. Round 2 I played against GW mediocre stuff deck. He didn't have any, or didn't draw any, Nature's Claim and I claimed the victory. I want to say I Glared him out one game. The finals was even easier. Dude had a black white deck without disenchants. I rolled him game 1. Game 2 I got stuck on 3 and then 4 lands with red Honden in play and the green one in my hand. When I drew land #5 it made more sense to kill him than to win with style. Thanks to Hearthstone I had to pause for a second before deciding to go with Fatality.

We went back to the buffet place with Jeremy, Cal, Ian, Tsung and myself. Unfortunately we got there late and had to deal with basically leftovers. The non Chinese people loved it luckily. I was able to play the field and end up with a decent dinner. It has been a long day, but it was great hanging out with old friends. Even when Magneto and Xavier were on different sides they respected each other at the end of the day. I only had to take out Tony Ho during the tournament, so it wasn't like I was the super bad guy.

Now to borrow a deck for the RPTQ.

binger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 01:51 AM   #7543
binger
You know who this is
Repeat Contributor

binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.

The Orlando incident reminds me of my last trip to Vegas. Allen was part of a acapella group and there's a annual competition in Vegas. He talked a few of us into going. I followed him to the after party. The beers were a little pricy, but the experience was awesome. Teams of 4ish performed, and they were only a slight step down from the Barton Bellas. I mean there's weren't Fat Amys or Nerds, but they were good at what they were doing. The tunes were catchy.

I looked around and saw an older couple, black and white, enjoying the show while holding on to each other. At that moment I wonder how long they've been together, and if they've been together for a long time, how hard it must have been near the beginning. Realizing now how little has changed. They were in their 60s at the very minimum. If they've been around since the civil rights era, what they must have been through, what their families have been through.

This was around the time Allen tapped me on my shoulder and told me I needed to leave. I have no idea what it was about. He was friendly with another guy and it wasn't his bf from Houston. I mean maybe they weren't exclusive. I took one last look at the older couple and parted ways.

Hopefully they weren't from Orlando.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:01 AM   #7544
sage.sam
I'm yer huckleberry
Repeat Contributor

sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?

Quote:
Originally Posted by binger View Post
I talked my undefeated opponent into scooping to me.
How on earth did you do that?
sage.sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:40 AM   #7545
binger
You know who this is
Repeat Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage.sam View Post
How on earth did you do that?
I told him he can draw next round, and he's in.

Old 06-16-2016, 08:03 AM   #7546
sage.sam
I'm yer huckleberry
Repeat Contributor

sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?

Quote:
Originally Posted by binger View Post
I told him he can draw next round, and he's in.
That's it? Not even like "lunch?" I mean a win/draw in that spot would pretty much be play/draw choice, right? So sell me on why I should scoop. I mean, if I lose I lose... but it's no worse than the scoop. Playing here seems all up-side.
sage.sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:14 AM   #7547
binger
You know who this is
Repeat Contributor

I'm a nice guy.

Old 06-16-2016, 08:15 AM   #7548
binger
You know who this is
Repeat Contributor

Let's just say it was similar to the Utter Leyton scoop at GP Dallas.

Old 08-27-2016, 10:53 AM   #7549
binger
You know who this is
Repeat Contributor

http://www.kylenisswandt.com/mtg-stats/

This is pretty cool. Everything is sortable. Never lost to Baker or the Nga. Slightly over 50% against Phu, though he claims I win every time.

Old 08-27-2016, 09:52 PM   #7550
grimlock
I'm On Big Brother!
Repeat Contributor

grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.
Send a message via AIM to grimlock Send a message via Skype™ to grimlock

Nice 100% against my nga David
grimlock is offline   Reply With Quote