Texas Magic Zone  

Go Back   Texas Magic Zone > Magic the Gathering > Magic General Discussion

Old 08-02-2014, 06:18 PM   #281
phuqdao
Everliving Decayed Form
Administrator

phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?
Default Re: Premier Play Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia Jupe View Post
i know the wizards site is hard to read, but come on man.

I was at work when I posted the request for a link to ease my phone querying...

You owe me: ----- I owe you: Jonasdash-$1
phuqdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:08 AM   #282
urafever
Atlas Flame

urafever , waysr?urafever , waysr?urafever , waysr?urafever , waysr?urafever , waysr?urafever , waysr?urafever , waysr?urafever , waysr?urafever , waysr?urafever , waysr?urafever , waysr?

Quote:
paraphrasing tom lapille on twitter:

Modern PTs usually lead to a broken deck and something needs to get banned. by not having it as a PT format, we can avoid this. casuals hate cards getting banned.

wtf
He basically said that he doesn't want pros to spend time breaking the format because they don't feel like trying to put the pieces back together again anymore. It's weird because it's one of the first times I can recall them actually mentioning something about players not being happy about losing money.

It seems like this "solution" does absolutely nothing to the inherent problem of modern, which is that cards made years apart work in weird ways together and anything good they print from here on out can be ported into an existing shell, thereby enabling constant power creep.

At least you no longer have to root against your own deck anymore. It used to be that if someone won a GP with four copies of a card other than birthing pod, its days in modern were numbered.

edit - he also dispensed this bit of wisdom:

Tom LaPille
‏@TomLaPilleMagic
If the important thing to you is the invite, this is tougher. If it's the cool tournament, this is better.

Ugh. No idea what this even means.

Last edited by urafever; 08-04-2014 at 09:17 AM. Reason: confused by these tweets. Wish I hadn't even read them.
urafever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:53 AM   #283
sage.sam
I'm yer huckleberry
Repeat Contributor

sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?

Quote:
paraphrasing tom lapille on twitter:

Modern PTs usually lead to a broken deck and something needs to get banned. by not having it as a PT format, we can avoid this. casuals hate cards getting banned.

wtf
Not that this is what TLP is saying... but here's my take.

Money sunk into the GP for marketing and PR is there, but there's always another GP -- and the amount spent for these isn't anywhere near what they spend on the PT. Hell, in the coming seasons there will be multiple GP events (on different continents) on the same weekend. If someone walks off with that GP win... good for them.

The PT is a show. It's marketing and PR. When one pro breaks the format, that pro runs away with the PT. That makes for a very unexciting show--which hurts the marketing and PR purpose of the show.
sage.sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:54 AM   #284
sage.sam
I'm yer huckleberry
Repeat Contributor

sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phuqdao View Post
I was at work when I posted the request for a link to ease my phone querying...
#firstworldproblems
sage.sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:13 AM   #285
MagicalHack
Colonel Angus
Contributor

MagicalHack , waysr?MagicalHack , waysr?MagicalHack , waysr?MagicalHack , waysr?MagicalHack , waysr?MagicalHack , waysr?MagicalHack , waysr?MagicalHack , waysr?MagicalHack , waysr?MagicalHack , waysr?MagicalHack , waysr?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage.sam View Post
Not that this is what TLP is saying... but here's my take.

Money sunk into the GP for marketing and PR is there, but there's always another GP -- and the amount spent for these isn't anywhere near what they spend on the PT. Hell, in the coming seasons there will be multiple GP events (on different continents) on the same weekend. If someone walks off with that GP win... good for them.

The PT is a show. It's marketing and PR. When one pro breaks the format, that pro runs away with the PT. That makes for a very unexciting show--which hurts the marketing and PR purpose of the show.
Fair observations.

If anything, this is a vote of confidence for the tournament environment. They believe the tournament environment is *healthy* enough that Modern can survive without the Pro Tour support (from a marketing aspect, as Hibbs refers to above.)

I still hate the multiple stages to reach the tour. You're ruling out "fresh blood" this way. Sure, the ptq winners often flame out, but the allure of being able to make it is really attractive to the wider audience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike614 View Post
I read an entire web article on intellectual property law!
MagicalHack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:33 AM   #286
juzamj
Wanna-be Pro

juzamj , waysr?juzamj , waysr?juzamj , waysr?juzamj , waysr?juzamj , waysr?juzamj , waysr?juzamj , waysr?juzamj , waysr?juzamj , waysr?juzamj , waysr?juzamj , waysr?

I know at least one person excited for ptqs and pt's now. This guy.
juzamj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:37 AM   #287
Cecilia Jupe
Big Mac
Contributor

Cecilia Jupe is untouchable.Cecilia Jupe is untouchable.Cecilia Jupe is untouchable.Cecilia Jupe is untouchable.Cecilia Jupe is untouchable.Cecilia Jupe is untouchable.Cecilia Jupe is untouchable.Cecilia Jupe is untouchable.Cecilia Jupe is untouchable.Cecilia Jupe is untouchable.Cecilia Jupe is untouchable.
Send a message via AIM to Cecilia Jupe

i don't like how they keep making the PT more about advertising and less about the best players in the world playing at the highest levels, and yet continue to hype the Hall of Fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Master View Post
Stop being an ass.
Cecilia Jupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:48 AM   #288
HavoKDarK
Have A Nice Day!

HavoKDarK , waysr?HavoKDarK , waysr?HavoKDarK , waysr?HavoKDarK , waysr?HavoKDarK , waysr?HavoKDarK , waysr?HavoKDarK , waysr?HavoKDarK , waysr?HavoKDarK , waysr?HavoKDarK , waysr?HavoKDarK , waysr?
Send a message via AIM to HavoKDarK

Quote:
i don't like how they keep making the PT more about advertising and less about the best players in the world playing at the highest levels, and yet continue to hype the Hall of Fame.
Costs money to fly everyone out to wherever. Novelty checks and trophies aren't free either.
HavoKDarK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:57 AM   #289
phuqdao
Everliving Decayed Form
Administrator

phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?

Quote:
Business is business.

You owe me: ----- I owe you: Jonasdash-$1
phuqdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:10 PM   #290
Cecilia Jupe
Big Mac
Contributor

Cecilia Jupe is untouchable.Cecilia Jupe is untouchable.Cecilia Jupe is untouchable.Cecilia Jupe is untouchable.Cecilia Jupe is untouchable.Cecilia Jupe is untouchable.Cecilia Jupe is untouchable.Cecilia Jupe is untouchable.Cecilia Jupe is untouchable.Cecilia Jupe is untouchable.Cecilia Jupe is untouchable.
Send a message via AIM to Cecilia Jupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by phuqdao View Post
Business is business.
so the previous 20 years of PT was just bad business?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Master View Post
Stop being an ass.
Cecilia Jupe is offline   Reply With Quote