Texas Magic Zone  

Go Back   Texas Magic Zone > Magic the Gathering > Magic General Discussion

Old 04-25-2016, 12:17 PM   #641
snackdaddy's
Moist & Accomodating

snackdaddy's , waysr?snackdaddy's , waysr?snackdaddy's , waysr?snackdaddy's , waysr?snackdaddy's , waysr?snackdaddy's , waysr?snackdaddy's , waysr?snackdaddy's , waysr?snackdaddy's , waysr?snackdaddy's , waysr?snackdaddy's , waysr?
Default Re: Premier Play Changes

i love how some of you guys just assume hasbro has no idea what they're doing. did you guys ever think these decisions are strategic and that their record of sales growth indicate they are at least acting rationally?
snackdaddy's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 12:19 PM   #642
Ophidian
I'm always angry
Repeat Contributor

Ophidian , waysr?Ophidian , waysr?Ophidian , waysr?Ophidian , waysr?Ophidian , waysr?Ophidian , waysr?Ophidian , waysr?Ophidian , waysr?Ophidian , waysr?Ophidian , waysr?Ophidian , waysr?

Mostly unrelated (forgive my naivete), but for other more popular platforms -- League, DOTA, HS, etc etc

If the players are qualified for a large tournament (equivalent to a PT) do they have access to all the available characters/upgrades (?) etc.
Old 04-25-2016, 12:34 PM   #643
binger
You know who this is
Repeat Contributor

binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snackdaddy's View Post
i love how some of you guys just assume hasbro has no idea what they're doing. did you guys ever think these decisions are strategic and that their record of sales growth indicate they are at least acting rationally?
Keeping the status quo is a minor cost compared to how much they're making. How much is $500,000 a year to a company like WotC? There's no reason to piss off a tiny, but loud player base when you don't have to. There are enough aspiring pros that the money you save can be offset by those people spending less.

binger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 12:42 PM   #644
skeletalpeacock
Takes Credit & Dank Meme
Repeat Contributor

skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.
Send a message via AIM to skeletalpeacock

So what you mean is how do twitch views translate into selling product? Classic advertising though I imagine a sign with a magic logo by some boosters near the Walmart checkout does more. Unless demone already visited. Then instead of trying to pull the cards for that cool seasons past combo from the PT little Timmy will just cry.

Record sales are happening across all gaming type brands. That suggests it's less about wotc knocking it out and more about a right place right time scenario. Competing brands are also growing much,much faster. Same conclusion.The topic on the whole was addressed by the parallel universe scenario.

As to whether or not everyone thinks they're retarded, that depends on each case. Pretty much everyone but the pros themselves are with Kyle on this in that it seems pretty shitty that they slashed benefits mid-year but ultimately these pros could easily have been costlier than they were worth.

When it comes to mtgo I am certain that it's mismanaged. In late 2014- early 2015 the entire system suffered a cascading failure that ended the MOCs first then the whole entire network. That is not playing it appropriately conservative. That is insane penny-penching to the point that you don't cough up enough to maintain your servers. I highly doubt that when as recently as 2010 wotc said that mtgo is 40% of their entire magic income, losing 3 months of that income was cheaper than doing some fucking basic maintenance.

Finally, the most recent note from the open hasbro board meeting said that mtg is becoming an esport and it was implied that is an important revenue source. I assume it was bullshit told to their investors since they have just greatly damaged their ability to keep familiar faces and teams on twitch and show no desire to increase coverage quality.

Last edited by skeletalpeacock; 04-25-2016 at 12:45 PM.
skeletalpeacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 12:48 PM   #645
JonasDash
ALL GLORY TO HYPNOTOAD
Contributor

JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snackdaddy's View Post
One of the first rules when it comes to business decision making is to ask how your customers would feel about the change you're considering.

If they did not do this, then they have certainly failed.
If they did this, but still thought it was a reasonable decision, they have very likely failed.

Hasbro has shown repeatedly that all that seems to matter to them is the bottom dollar, regardless of their customer bases desires or feelings and regardless of how it makes them look to their customer base.

The decision may make financial sense to Hasbro, but they clearly did not think through how their actions would be perceived and certainly did not consider the timing of their actions.

To announce a change in the middle of a season is not only foolish, it's unethical.

To announce such a major change during the Top 8 of a Pro Tour is rude to the players in that Top 8 because their victory will be overshadowed by this announcement.

To announce such a major change without even checking if the math holds up is unforgivable. They claim the math checks out, but it very clearly does not.

They have failed in so many ways that to think that Hasbro actually knows what it's doing is naive.

The match of the century, absence versus thin air

Wagers

JonasDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 12:49 PM   #646
lazarusl
grandpa
Repeat Contributor

lazarusl , waysr?lazarusl , waysr?lazarusl , waysr?lazarusl , waysr?lazarusl , waysr?lazarusl , waysr?lazarusl , waysr?lazarusl , waysr?lazarusl , waysr?lazarusl , waysr?lazarusl , waysr?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeletalpeacock View Post
So what you mean is how do twitch views translate into selling product? Classic advertising though I imagine a sign with a magic logo by some boosters near the Walmart checkout does more. Unless demone already visited. Then instead of trying to pull the cards for that cool seasons past combo from the PT little Timmy will just cry.

Record sales are happening across all gaming type brands. That suggests it's less about wotc knocking it out and more about a right place right time scenario. Competing brands are also growing much,much faster. Same conclusion.The topic on the whole was addressed by the parallel universe scenario.

As to whether or not everyone thinks they're retarded, that depends on each case. Pretty much everyone but the pros themselves are with Kyle on this in that it seems pretty shitty that they slashed benefits mid-year but ultimately these pros could easily have been costlier than they were worth.

When it comes to mtgo I am certain that it's mismanaged. In late 2014- early 2015 the entire system suffered a cascading failure that ended the MOCs first then the whole entire network. That is not playing it appropriately conservative. That is insane penny-penching to the point that you don't cough up enough to maintain your servers. I highly doubt that when as recently as 2010 wotc said that mtgo is 40% of their entire magic income, losing 3 months of that income was cheaper than doing some fucking basic maintenance.

Finally, the most recent note from the open hasbro board meeting said that mtg is becoming an esport and it was implied that is an important revenue source. I assume it was bullshit told to their investors since they have just greatly damaged their ability to keep familiar faces and teams on twitch and show no desire to increase coverage quality.
You should buy a share of Hasbro stock and initiate a shareholder lawsuit.
Old 04-25-2016, 12:59 PM   #647
snackdaddy's
Moist & Accomodating

snackdaddy's , waysr?snackdaddy's , waysr?snackdaddy's , waysr?snackdaddy's , waysr?snackdaddy's , waysr?snackdaddy's , waysr?snackdaddy's , waysr?snackdaddy's , waysr?snackdaddy's , waysr?snackdaddy's , waysr?snackdaddy's , waysr?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasDash View Post
One of the first rules when it comes to business decision making is to ask how your customers would feel about the change you're considering.

If they did this, but still thought it was a reasonable decision, they have very likely failed.

Hasbro has shown repeatedly that all that seems to matter to them is the bottom dollar, regardless of their customer bases desires or feelings and regardless of how it makes them look to their customer base.

The decision may make financial sense to Hasbro, but they clearly did not think through how their actions would be perceived and certainly did not consider the timing of their actions.

To announce a change in the middle of a season is not only foolish, it's unethical.

To announce such a major change during the Top 8 of a Pro Tour is rude to the players in that Top 8 because their victory will be overshadowed by this announcement.

To announce such a major change without even checking if the math holds up is unforgivable. They claim the math checks out, but it very clearly does not.

They have failed in so many ways that to think that Hasbro actually knows what it's doing is naive.
They may have failed you and they may have failed the pro/competitive set but the fallacy here is that what you think about what they're doing is the only thing that matters.

Mixon nailed it so hard I think he slipped it a roofie. They are in the business of selling product, not running tournaments. These string of decisions they've made regarding the tournament circuit leads me to believe the sale of product is not very much affected by whatever happens in tournaments.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:04 PM   #648
snackdaddy's
Moist & Accomodating

this reminds me of every MMO I've ever played. The hardcore are always the most vocal and they carry the biggest pitchforks but the casual are the ones that spend the most money.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:22 PM   #649
skeletalpeacock
Takes Credit & Dank Meme
Repeat Contributor

skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.
Send a message via AIM to skeletalpeacock

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasDash View Post

Yeah you should be doing surveys out the ass on this stuff even if you ignore everyone that isn't your real cash cow

Sending an email that makes customers feel like you're accounting for their opinion is worth the business cost. Actually getting useful feedback out a survey that helps to improve something plainly is. There's a reason a lot of stores offer 5$ to do the giant survey on their check.
skeletalpeacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 02:03 PM   #650
grimlock
I'm On Big Brother!
Repeat Contributor

grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.
Send a message via AIM to grimlock Send a message via Skype™ to grimlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophidian View Post
Mostly unrelated (forgive my naivete), but for other more popular platforms -- League, DOTA, HS, etc etc

If the players are qualified for a large tournament (equivalent to a PT) do they have access to all the available characters/upgrades (?) etc.
For League Riot can make an account that has full access to anything they want to give access to. They don't do it often but for any of their pros under certain circumstances they will do it. Like when pros go to another country before a tournament they give them Riot accounts to play on public servers. For tournaments they have tournament accounts that are completely separate.

Riot has a pretty tight control on their pro esports scene. They have 4 Riot sponsored leagues in NA, EU, China, and Korea the 4 biggest regions. They also have sister sponsors in South America and the Southeast Asian non Korean countries. Pretty much 90% of competitive league is run by Riot. There are a few IEM tournaments throughout the year that aren't Riot sponsored.

DOTA doesn't have this problem because you have access to everything but skins from first download.

No clue on hearthstone but I imagine everyone playing has access to all the cards they need if they grinded hard enough to qualify for something like BlizzCon.
grimlock is offline   Reply With Quote