Texas Magic Zone  

Go Back   Texas Magic Zone > Other Stuff > Gamer Blogs!

Old 06-12-2014, 04:11 PM   #3371
Tobey
Not at those prices
Repeat Contributor

Tobey , waysr?Tobey , waysr?Tobey , waysr?Tobey , waysr?Tobey , waysr?Tobey , waysr?Tobey , waysr?Tobey , waysr?Tobey , waysr?Tobey , waysr?Tobey , waysr?
Default Re: Better late than never: The Tobey Blog.

I got a new boss a week and a half ago and I had my first one-on-one meeting with him today about my role in the team. He had already met with everyone else and this was the first thing he said to me...

"I'm always very honest with people and I'm not afraid to tell them the truth, and the truth is, from talking with the rest of the team, what I've consistently heard is that nobody in this company likes you."

and it only got worse from there.

And I didn't even get fired.

I just got asked why I want to keep working here over and over again and couldn't give a good answer.

They've been trying to push me out Japanese-style by not asking me to do anything until I got bored and quit but it didn't work because reddit. But unlike the guy in Silicon Valley, I don't have a massive salary to sit back on. I'm broke.

I can't afford to quit, I just have to keep showing up knowing that nobody likes me and I'm not useful in any way.

I'm introverted, I know it. There are a lot of things I can't do, but I always thought engineer would be a profession where my horrible social skills would be the least disadvantageous, but I can't even do that.

You wanted fucking blowout stories, there you go.
Tobey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:17 PM   #3372
snackdaddy's
Moist & Accomodating

snackdaddy's , waysr?snackdaddy's , waysr?snackdaddy's , waysr?snackdaddy's , waysr?snackdaddy's , waysr?snackdaddy's , waysr?snackdaddy's , waysr?snackdaddy's , waysr?snackdaddy's , waysr?snackdaddy's , waysr?snackdaddy's , waysr?

jesus christ man. thanks for the perspective. let's go get a beer.
snackdaddy's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:19 PM   #3373
skeletalpeacock
Takes Credit & Dank Meme
Repeat Contributor

skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.
Send a message via AIM to skeletalpeacock

Holy shit. Tmz is just insane today.
skeletalpeacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:21 PM   #3374
Spike614
Raze Fear

Spike614 , waysr?Spike614 , waysr?Spike614 , waysr?Spike614 , waysr?Spike614 , waysr?Spike614 , waysr?Spike614 , waysr?Spike614 , waysr?Spike614 , waysr?Spike614 , waysr?Spike614 , waysr?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobey View Post
I got a new boss a week and a half ago and I had my first one-on-one meeting with him today about my role in the team. He had already met with everyone else and this was the first thing he said to me...

"I'm always very honest with people and I'm not afraid to tell them the truth, and the truth is, from talking with the rest of the team, what I've consistently heard is that nobody in this company likes you."

and it only got worse from there.

And I didn't even get fired.

I just got asked why I want to keep working here over and over again and couldn't give a good answer.

They've been trying to push me out Japanese-style by not asking me to do anything until I got bored and quit but it didn't work because reddit. But unlike the guy in Silicon Valley, I don't have a massive salary to sit back on. I'm broke.

I can't afford to quit, I just have to keep showing up knowing that nobody likes me and I'm not useful in any way.

I'm introverted, I know it. There are a lot of things I can't do, but I always thought engineer would be a profession where my horrible social skills would be the least disadvantageous, but I can't even do that.

You wanted fucking blowout stories, there you go.
what a fucking asshole. you could probably take him to HR for that shit. You don't have to reddit all day, just pick a project that isn't getting any attention or fix some process or whatever you want to do. There's always tons of people in my company that have undefined roles/no clear reporting structure/ could literally reddit all day. The guy i'm stuck in a room with manages his funeral home all day on the phone because he's subcontracted through so many companies no one even knows what he's supposed to do or who he's supposed to report to. I wouldn't hate him if he didn't go out of his way to make my job more difficult, blocking access to assets etc. whenever I'm trying to get laptops to deploy.

Point is when you're freed from structure by completely insane management (telling someone they aren't liked personally and acting like that's acceptable basically blows out 90% of the shit I see posted here, on a website with no rules where we purposely flame each other, guy is definitely insane.) you can relax and chill all day or go find whatever you want to work on and accomplish whatever you want. I've watched a couple project managers here successfully survive downsize after downsize here by sucking up unclaimed projects like a vacuum cleaner, and it sounds like things aren't going nearly that bad where you're at.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:23 PM   #3375
JonasDash
ALL GLORY TO HYPNOTOAD
Contributor

JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobey View Post
"... what I've consistently heard is that nobody in this company likes you."
is it possibly because you work better/harder than them and make them look bad?

just trying to find some silver lining here; you're a good man & it sucks that people don't seem to recognise that.

To know me as hardly golden is to know me all wrong

Wagers

JonasDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:24 PM   #3376
phuqdao
Everliving Decayed Form
Administrator

phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?

Man Tobey...what kind of specialization did you get with your Mech E degree?

You owe me: ----- I owe you: Jonasdash-$1
phuqdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:33 PM   #3377
Tobey
Not at those prices
Repeat Contributor

Tobey , waysr?Tobey , waysr?Tobey , waysr?Tobey , waysr?Tobey , waysr?Tobey , waysr?Tobey , waysr?Tobey , waysr?Tobey , waysr?Tobey , waysr?Tobey , waysr?

Ok I'm glad I had a chance to let out my emotions here rather than like facebook or something but I've had a chance to calm down. It's not the end of the world. I just am not a good fit in this culture, period. He explained in detail why. He is not an asshole, he is a very honest person and he told me things I needed to hear.

I can either keep being an asshole that nobody likes because everyone was too polite to tell me, or try not to be.

And Minh? Are there any bars in Irving?
Tobey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:37 PM   #3378
grimlock
I'm On Big Brother!
Repeat Contributor

grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.
Send a message via AIM to grimlock Send a message via Skype™ to grimlock

I don't even understand why a manager would say that. If its true then it just creates more distance between coworkers. If its not true then it very easily backfires on him.

But yeah, either way, we should go get a beer.
grimlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:38 PM   #3379
JonasDash
ALL GLORY TO HYPNOTOAD
Contributor

JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.

there's a tilted kilt off royal near 114/161

To know me as hardly golden is to know me all wrong

Wagers

JonasDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:40 PM   #3380
snackdaddy's
Moist & Accomodating

snackdaddy's , waysr?snackdaddy's , waysr?snackdaddy's , waysr?snackdaddy's , waysr?snackdaddy's , waysr?snackdaddy's , waysr?snackdaddy's , waysr?snackdaddy's , waysr?snackdaddy's , waysr?snackdaddy's , waysr?snackdaddy's , waysr?

yeah bros lets go catch game 4 of the finals tonight
snackdaddy's is offline   Reply With Quote