Texas Magic Zone  

Go Back   Texas Magic Zone > Other Stuff > Gamer Blogs!

Old 12-19-2013, 10:38 AM   #11
GodzillaScott
Hiding in fog.

GodzillaScott , waysr?GodzillaScott , waysr?GodzillaScott , waysr?GodzillaScott , waysr?GodzillaScott , waysr?GodzillaScott , waysr?GodzillaScott , waysr?GodzillaScott , waysr?GodzillaScott , waysr?GodzillaScott , waysr?GodzillaScott , waysr?
Default Re: The Chronicles of Weazy

You may just get Will.
GodzillaScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:45 AM   #12
Weazy
Punter
Contributor

Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey View Post
Ok, so why do you like playing decks like this rather than proven decks?
Two answers:

1) the approach in general: I'm stubborn. I don't like playing the deck that won a tourney last week. I want to play something that can either beat that deck from last and/or that should be flying under people's radar so I can steal wins. Where this approach isn't always effective is squarley on my shoulders in my perceived inability at building / tuning decks to accomplish that goal. I've gotten better at both but I have a very strong (and possibly incorrect) urge to never play the 'best deck' and to try to brew to beat it and the field with some unexpected cards.

2) for this deck in particular, I thought it was a good call becuase I expected to see a lot of UW control, Mono Black and Aggro. I felt the Mono U matchup was about drawing / boarding well and I was ok with that. I still think the deck was well positioned, although I could be incorrect with my assessment just becuase of my lack of experience and overall ability to guage a deck's position against the field. I think the more I do this, the better I'll get. I tested this deck against all of the above as well as Esper, BW and some rogue brews and I really liked my chances against all of them.

At the end of the day I really like the 'solving the puzzle' aspect of building and tuning decks. I was absolute shite when I tried at first but I've gotten better. I honestly thought this deck had a decent shot at running deep. So, yeah, stubborn and puzzle solving.

Last edited by Weazy; 12-19-2013 at 10:59 AM.
Weazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:54 AM   #13
juzamj
Wanna-be Pro

juzamj , waysr?juzamj , waysr?juzamj , waysr?juzamj , waysr?juzamj , waysr?juzamj , waysr?juzamj , waysr?juzamj , waysr?juzamj , waysr?juzamj , waysr?juzamj , waysr?

I'm working on a borzov deck for the upcoming ptqs. I figure it has access to some of the the best dudes and some of the best removal.

4 barons
3 ghost council
2 alms beast
3 desecration demon

4 hero's downfall
3 dreadbore
3 anger of the gods
1 doom blade
2 Mizzium Mortars
3 read the bones
2 whip of erebos
2 rakdos keyrune
2 Elspeth
26 rwb lands

sb
3 sin collectors
4 slaughter games
3 thoughseize
1 doom blade
1 Mizzium Mortars
1 anger of the gods
2 assemble the legion
juzamj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:55 AM   #14
Weazy
Punter
Contributor

Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicalHack View Post
Brewing is fun...I did a lot of it back in the day before I just gave up entirely on constructed.

Sam Black didn't pop out of the womb making sick decks.

Weazy you need to make a friend like you, build a gauntlet of the meta-game, and start establishing for yourself whether or not your brews are viable. Helps if the person is a) good at magic (so you don't get overly skewed results) and b) your friend (so they'll put up with your ridiculous ideas.)
I have a few friends that I test with for tourneys and my experience with them has been very helpful thus far. The feedback loop, to me, is the key element in that I want to see/hear recomendations and observations from other people's perspective and try to assimilate that feedback into positive tuning / play lines in preparation for an uncoming event. They guys I test with know I prefer weird / off the beaten path decks and are more than happy to jam the latest UW / Esper / Devotion / etc deck against my rogue pile while offering constructive criticism. The guys I test with are what I would consider good players so I do value their feedback.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:55 AM   #15
Weazy
Punter
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodzillaScott View Post
You may just get Will.
Not sure what you mean, Scott...?
Old 12-19-2013, 11:07 AM   #16
GodzillaScott
Hiding in fog.

GodzillaScott , waysr?GodzillaScott , waysr?GodzillaScott , waysr?GodzillaScott , waysr?GodzillaScott , waysr?GodzillaScott , waysr?GodzillaScott , waysr?GodzillaScott , waysr?GodzillaScott , waysr?GodzillaScott , waysr?GodzillaScott , waysr?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weazy View Post
Not sure what you mean, Scott...?
Sorry, Spike316.
GodzillaScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:15 AM   #17
binger
You know who this is
Repeat Contributor

binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juzamj View Post
I'm working on a borzov deck for the upcoming ptqs. I figure it has access to some of the the best dudes and some of the best removal.

4 barons
3 ghost council
2 alms beast
3 desecration demon

4 hero's downfall
3 dreadbore
3 anger of the gods
1 doom blade
2 Mizzium Mortars
3 read the bones
2 whip of erebos
2 rakdos keyrune
2 Elspeth
26 rwb lands

sb
3 sin collectors
4 slaughter games
3 thoughseize
1 doom blade
1 Mizzium Mortars
1 anger of the gods
2 assemble the legion
Curve starting at 4 seems bad. Not doing anything for 3 turns seems bad. Whip doesn't do anything.

binger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:36 AM   #18
juzamj
Wanna-be Pro

juzamj , waysr?juzamj , waysr?juzamj , waysr?juzamj , waysr?juzamj , waysr?juzamj , waysr?juzamj , waysr?juzamj , waysr?juzamj , waysr?juzamj , waysr?juzamj , waysr?

So if I take out the whips should I add another doom blade and Mizzium?
juzamj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:37 AM   #19
Spike614
Raze Fear

Spike614 , waysr?Spike614 , waysr?Spike614 , waysr?Spike614 , waysr?Spike614 , waysr?Spike614 , waysr?Spike614 , waysr?Spike614 , waysr?Spike614 , waysr?Spike614 , waysr?Spike614 , waysr?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey View Post
Ok, so why do you like playing decks like this rather than proven decks?
deckbuilding is apparently pretty important skill. Owen was playing the best magic in the world but he didn't day 2 GP ft worth because he ruined the decklist paul reitzel built for him. Copying tier 1 lists won't do you any good if you make small changes to ruin them or sideboard to ruin them, which is very common practice among grinders.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:43 AM   #20
binger
You know who this is
Repeat Contributor

binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juzamj View Post
So if I take out the whips should I add another doom blade and Mizzium?
I have no idea. I only have 2 days worth of experience in this format.

binger is offline   Reply With Quote