Texas Magic Zone  

Go Back   Texas Magic Zone > Other Stuff > Gamer Blogs!

Old 11-10-2016, 11:37 AM   #701
JonasDash
ALL GLORY TO HYPNOTOAD
Contributor

JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.
Default Re: The Chronicles of Weazy

yeah, this wasn't exactly a secret, or at least to me it wasn't, but I'm really glad he's reached the point he's comfortable sharing this with everyone

jacob wilson also recently officially came out, though again it wasn't a big secret really.

the mtg community in general is pretty accepting of people, so that's good

To know me as hardly golden is to know me all wrong

Wagers

JonasDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 01:28 PM   #702
skeletalpeacock
Takes Credit & Dank Meme
Repeat Contributor

skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.
Send a message via AIM to skeletalpeacock

Looks like I posted before I read your blog

I'll definitely drop a social media line to them both. They're class acts.
skeletalpeacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 09:20 PM   #703
Weazy
Punter
Contributor

Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?

TFW you haven't played magic in a while and play in a competitive tourney and play like a complete donkey game 1.....sheesh. Pulled it together after that but damn....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage.sam View Post
Yeah, SRSLY. STFU and play your own match.
Weazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 09:06 AM   #704
Weazy
Punter
Contributor

Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?

Played in PPTQ Saturday. Played the GR Aetherworks Marvel deck that won the MTGO Standard Tourney recently. I expected a lot of GB Delirium, UW Flash and a smattering of mid range. I wanted to dodge blue control decks....

Round 1 - UW Flash L 1-2, 0-1
Played like a donkey game 1. Opponent was casting Revolutionary Rebuff and I thought he was casting Unsubstantiate. You can imagine the issue that would cause...... *facepalm*.
Game 2 was lost to a slow hand and a really aggressive start by my opponent that he backed up by double counter spell. I can't land anything to stabilize the board and lose quickly.
Game 3 was a really close match. Had the opponent DOB and he ripped a stasis snare for my Emrakul to crack in for lethal.

Round 2 - URw Control - 1-0, 1-1
Game 1 was a long match where I was just running a lot of spells into counters while holding on to an Emrakul that I planned to land once I had an opening. I landed big momma, took his turn but he had fumigate and double torrential gearhulk. Lucky for me, opponent punted by mistapping his lands not leaving up enough white for fumigate and I crash in for the win. Whew.
Game 2 was more of the same of game 1. Fighting through counters and holding on to a Chandra and a Ishkanah I hoped to land when I had an opening. The game went to turns with no winner and I take the match.
*Note* - the slip was signed as 1 win for me, 1 draw....the judge entered in the match as a draw instead of a win. I didn't notice the error for a few rounds, which couldn't be corrected according to the judge. Pretty tilting but I blame myself for not paying better attention. Likely that error knocked me out of top 8....dammit

Round 3 - Four Color Aetherworks W 2-1, 2-1
This was an interesting deck. Similar to my decks strategy but with more planeswalkers and Ulamog instead of 4 x Emrakul.
Game 1 the opponent mulls to 5 and floods horribly. Pretty easy win.
Game 2 was an awesome match. I boarded in my Tireless Trackers to try to provide some early pressure and card advantage as well as my Nissa, an additional Chadra and a World Breaker. I wanted to differentiate my threats in case of a Lost Legacy or Pick the Brain. Sure enough, I got hammered by a Pick the Brain on Emrakul with two of them in hand. Yeesh. I ended up drawing quite well and my opponent whiffed on his marvel a few times finally landing a Ulamog. He cracks in with 15 cards in my library and takes a pretty sweet game 2. My takeaway from this game was that despite Emrakul getting taken out of the deck, I still had a path to victory. Loved that the deck didn't fold to big momma getting ripped out.
Game 3 was a pretty quick affair. I open with Attune, Servant of the Conduit, Chandra, double Aetherworks and two lands. He Transgresses on T2 taking one marvel and I quickly build up enough energy to land a marvel and activate for a Emrakul. Pretty quick game.

Round 4 - UR Control L 1-2, 2-2
This is a nightmare match up for my deck. Especially after board when they jam multiple negates and summary dismissals.
Game 1 I push through several counters and end up landing a marvel and pumping out Emrakul to take the match. The opponent was running Dragonmaster Outcast main deck which was a pretty sweet addition to the deck.
Game 2 and 3 is pretty much the same story. Opponent had a ton of counters and glimmers. I tried pushing through all the counters but my hands just didn't line up very well. I couldn't land any relevant spells and the opponent ended up on 6 lands with open mana, a dragonmaster outcast in play and lots of cards in hand. This is a really tough match up for my deck, which I was really hoping to dodge but thems the breaks.
Opponent was really nice and we talked about the match up afterwards and the inclusion of the Dragonmaster Outcast in his deck. We agreed the matchup was absolutely in his favor after board, basically unwinnable for me, but the best chance I had was to win game 1 and hope for missteps or bad draws to try to steal a second game after board.

Game 5 - GB Delirium W 2-0, 3-2
This was the match up I wanted to see all day long.
Game 1 the opponent landed a early Lilly and Grim Flayer. I had harnessed lightning and a Chandra to take care of the early threat and keep Lilly in check. I land a Marvel, pump out big momma and take the game.
Game 2 was basically the same as game 1. My opponent made an interesting decision when he played a Transgress the Mind. He had Lilly in play with 6 loyalty. I have 4 lands in play with and my hand is one land, Ishkanah and Chandra and a few other cards he can't target. He takes Iskanah, to my surprise. I end up putting Chandra in play, keep Lilly off ultimate and eventually get off Chandra's ultimate and win the game casting piddly spells for 5 to the dome.

Game 6 - Mardu Vehicles W 2-0, 4-2
Game 1 went about as well as I could hope. Opponent got off to a quick start with Toolcraft Exemplar, 3/2 Artifact dude and a thraben inspector. I held onto a Kozilek's Return and fired it off during an attack to wipe the board. I stabilized and then landed a Ishkhanah when held off the team while I worked to get energy for a Marvel activations. I activated Marvel four times with the first three being either puzzle knot or servant, both of which were fine to hit since the board was stable. I ended up activating for an Emrakul and took the game.
Game 2 was pretty quick. I boarded in two Kozilek's return to go up to 4, boarding out two Tormenting Voices. I ended up with an opener of Harnessed lightning and two Returns which I snap kept. I kept the board clear, landed a Marvel and hit big momma right off the bat. Easy peezy.

Overall I really liked playing the deck despite my horrid play in Game 1 of the first round. Besides the obvious Emrakul, Ishkanah is a freaking house in the deck. She's so good against the field. I can't take credit for the deck, I just played the stock list and prayed to dodge blue.

Here's the list

Deck
[spells]
4Vessel of Nascency
4Attune with Aether
4Woodweaver's Puzzleknot
4Harnessed Lightning
4Servant of the Conduit
4Aetherworks Marvel
4Emrakul, the Promised End
3Ishkanah, Grafwidow
3Chandra, Torch of Defiance
2Kozilek's Return
2Tormenting Voice
[lands]
4Aether Hub
2Evolving Wilds
4Game Trail
4Mountain
8Forest
[sideboard]
2Kozilek's Return
3Tireless Tracker
1World Breaker
1Nissa, Vital Force
1Chandra, Torch of Defiance
2Appetite for the Unnatural
3Tears of Valakut
2Natural State

Quote:

Last edited by Weazy; 11-20-2016 at 03:11 PM.
Old 11-20-2016, 02:14 PM   #705
skeletalpeacock
Takes Credit & Dank Meme
Repeat Contributor

skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.
Send a message via AIM to skeletalpeacock

Deck is the real deal for sure

Marvelworks dropped off after the PT but somebody cracked the code

There's a guy who streams only standard and only wth this deck and he has 2050 constructed rating

He says facing turn 4 Gideon is GG without marvelworks though. Confirm/deny?
skeletalpeacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 03:05 PM   #706
Weazy
Punter
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeletalpeacock View Post
Deck is the real deal for sure

Marvelworks dropped off after the PT but somebody cracked the code

There's a guy who streams only standard and only wth this deck and he has 2050 constructed rating

He says facing turn 4 Gideon is GG without marvelworks though. Confirm/deny?
Yeah. It's the real deal. It felt like it. BG Deliruim and Mardu vehicles were just blowouts. UW isn't that bad, Ishkanah is the best card against that deck by far. U based control is just a bitch to fight through and I was surprised a bit that I saw several folks on it despite it being poorly positioned against BG and UW flash.....

*edit* - just watched Jeskai control beat UW flash in R15 of SGC Open.....looks like I could be wrong about U based deck positioning against the field.....

Gideon on T4 is pretty rough if you don't have a board state to speak of. If they curved out into Gideon he can close the game very quickly. I beat T4 Gideon but I did have some interactive spells to keep the board relatively clear and hit Ishkanah into Marvel that activated for a puzzleknot and a few more energy creators that ended up getting Emrakul. Most of the time it's GG if you don't have the right side of your deck in G1. G2 and G3 I don't think it's as bad but it's still really tough if you draw a bunch of energy cards with no payoff card or something to help you stabilize the board. Boarding into max kozilek's return, 3 x tears of valakut and 2 x natural state helps you interact in the early turns and you then hope to land Ishkanah to stabilize and then get Marvel online and start looking for big momma.

Quote:

Last edited by Weazy; 11-20-2016 at 03:31 PM.
Old 11-22-2016, 09:31 AM   #707
Weazy
Punter
Contributor

So my Fiancee has shown some interest in learning Magic. I tried to teach her myself with some current standard decks but that was a bit overwhelming for her.

I'm thinking that starting with something like Duel of the Planeswalkers would be a good starting point.

Any of you folks out there have advice for getting a newbie going with MTG? I know this isn't the easiest game to learn and there are things like Duels and Starter decks that are easier to learn....

I've already started by getting the play guide from a fat pack that shows the steps to a turn but I think even that was a little too much all at once....

Quote:
Old 11-22-2016, 09:53 AM   #708
JonasDash
ALL GLORY TO HYPNOTOAD
Contributor

JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.

Start really simple.

This is mana. Mana is used to cast spells. These are spells - Creatures. They have power and toughness.

Turns go like this. Untap (start turn) play spells. attack. end turn.

Simulate a 5 turn game using two card decks with grizzly bears, grey ogres, and 1 vanilla flier.

Once that is all good, introduce a sorcery or two and explain how they work.

go over the timing of spells and cover the 1st/2nd main phase here.

Vary up the creatures, perhaps add some basic keywords, slowly adding one new keyword like Vigilance, Trample, First Strike, Reach, etc.

Once basic creature on creatures + Sorcery speed spells is going smoothly, add in Instants. For some reason instant vs sorcery seems to really confuse new players, but hopefully you won't get too bogged down here.

Once Instants are in, add in Artifacts and show how Artifacts are different from Artifact creatures, but how spells that affect artifacts can hit both, but spells that hit creatures can't.

Explain upkeep and end of turn effects.

Start to get into mana curves and deck building basics.

Add in planeswalkers.

Work up a few basic multicolor decks with all the major card types (you can easily use duel decks at this point)

Wagers

Old 11-22-2016, 11:29 AM   #709
blake31678
pitchslapped
ContributorModerator

blake31678 , waysr?blake31678 , waysr?blake31678 , waysr?blake31678 , waysr?blake31678 , waysr?blake31678 , waysr?blake31678 , waysr?blake31678 , waysr?blake31678 , waysr?blake31678 , waysr?blake31678 , waysr?

I tried to teach Nikki Magic a long while back when we first started dating, but it was overwhelming and she didn't like it.

Fast forward to a few months ago. I got her a Hearthstone account so I could get a character skin. I told her I just needed to play the account to get it up to level 20, would only take me about an hour, nbd. She decided she was interested because it looked cool from what she say, so she started there and hasn't put the game down since. She really liked the way it walked her through everything. She liked the interface and how she could build her own decks and buy packs, etc.

I found a deal on the two Kaladesh Planeswalker decks (Chandra and Nissa), so I picked them up. They are all one color, but they have two boosters in there with which to enrich your decks. We've been sick and haven't tried them out yet, but she's told me now that she knows HS, she might be willing to try Magic again, and I told her it will be SO much easier to teach now that I can just use HS terms! Crossing my fingers!

Best of luck and let us know how it goes!
blake31678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 11:57 AM   #710
JonasDash
ALL GLORY TO HYPNOTOAD
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake31678 View Post
I tried to teach Nikki Magic a long while back when we first started dating, but it was overwhelming and she didn't like it.

Fast forward to a few months ago. I got her a Hearthstone account so I could get a character skin. I told her I just needed to play the account to get it up to level 20, would only take me about an hour, nbd. She decided she was interested because it looked cool from what she say, so she started there and hasn't put the game down since. She really liked the way it walked her through everything. She liked the interface and how she could build her own decks and buy packs, etc.

I found a deal on the two Kaladesh Planeswalker decks (Chandra and Nissa), so I picked them up. They are all one color, but they have two boosters in there with which to enrich your decks. We've been sick and haven't tried them out yet, but she's told me now that she knows HS, she might be willing to try Magic again, and I told her it will be SO much easier to teach now that I can just use HS terms! Crossing my fingers!

Best of luck and let us know how it goes!
Haha!! Hearthstone hooks another one!

Wagers