Texas Magic Zone  

Go Back   Texas Magic Zone > General Forums > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2016, 03:45 PM   #71
Suari
Regaler of stories
 
Suari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,893
Rep Power: 1464515
Suari , waysr?Suari , waysr?Suari , waysr?Suari , waysr?Suari , waysr?Suari , waysr?Suari , waysr?Suari , waysr?Suari , waysr?Suari , waysr?Suari , waysr?
Default Re: Berni for President

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeletalpeacock View Post
god damn that was a trip down memory lane, pretty good stuff.
__________________
Voltron Business:

1:1 Daigo not making top 8 of MVC3
1:4 Justin winning MVC3
Suari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 04:35 PM   #72
lazarusl
grandpa
Repeat Contributor
 
lazarusl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,384
Rep Power: 20091531
lazarusl , waysr?lazarusl , waysr?lazarusl , waysr?lazarusl , waysr?lazarusl , waysr?lazarusl , waysr?lazarusl , waysr?lazarusl , waysr?lazarusl , waysr?lazarusl , waysr?lazarusl , waysr?
Default Re: Berni for President

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeletalpeacock View Post
Real thoughts on the election-
OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeletalpeacock View Post
Obv Hillary was gonna win. But the announcement that she was already the nominee prior to California was pretty damn dirty. Bernie was not mathematically eliminated yet, and furthermore Hillarys total was based on assumed super delegate votes. Even a pledged super delegate can change their mind, and it's not even especially rare. In other words she didn't have it yet. Dirty dirty.
A couple of thoughts that, not surprisingly, do not fall in line with the reddit party line: 1) I thought, and still think, that announcement could have hurt Hillary more than it could have helped her. Why bother to vote if your candidate has already won? The Bernie supporters a) didn't believe it and b) still had incentive to vote to make a statement. 2) What would you have the AP do - not report the news? They have a running count of where the various superdelegates stand in terms of announced choices. If that tally pushes a candidate over the threshold to win, are they supposed to sit on it because Bernie doesn't like it? Also, referring back to 1), since the effect of the report was difficult to predict at best, who were they trying to help, supposedly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeletalpeacock View Post
Sanders4pres has finally shut up. About time. I was tired of reading the 1-2 fringe polls that sanders barely ahead, behind, or at parity in the general with some sketchy math. Come on. I'm curious to see if the "Bernie bump" enjoyed by senators endorsed by sanders during the subreddits peak period reminds in the long term. Or if any momentum from the young voter base he targeted remains really. I doubt it.
If Bernie cares about his supposed revolution, he'll do the hard work of converting his supporters into an organization that can actually effect change at the local level. He hasn't shown me any reason to think he cares about doing that - from what I've read, even the candidates who've tried to associate themselves with his movement in this election have received inconsistent and lukewarm support at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeletalpeacock View Post
On Hillary again- the email thing is a big deal. At least if you were a soldier in the armed forces. Then you'd be tried for treason no joke. She is only immune do to having basically the highest military ranking. The FBI is now admitting that they pulled inecrypted and important data off those emails server. Nobody cares it would seem. A very good job has been done as far as keeping people in the dark about how big of a deal that type of security breach would be to any other military officer in the US.
A) The Secretary of State is explicitly NOT part of the military structure.
B) Nobody cares because it's yet another controversy involving a Clinton that has better headlines than details. It sounds like a big deal but it's not, and as a result it's been blown far out of proportion by her political enemies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeletalpeacock View Post
Other things I hate about her are her Benghazi doings and her strong ties to big money in wallstreet. Her not releasing her bank speech transcripts really does bother me.
Benghazi sucked. What exactly was she supposed to do about it? Also, every politician has strong ties to big money in Wall Street. Hell, if I ran for office my opponent would claim that I have strong ties to big money in Wall Street because I represented banks for 3 years as a junior lawyer. That doesn't mean I would be any more likely to support policies that favored the big banks. What substance do you have to support the idea that she is a shill for the big banks? Also, if Goldman Sachs offered you a truck full of money to come speak, would you turn it down? If you didn't turn it down, exactly how would that event in the past influence your policy decisions in the future? If she supports breaking up the banks now, are they going to come take the money back? Also, as long as campaign finance is basically unregulated, viable candidates have to go where the money is. Overturning that bad Supreme Court decision (Citizens United) is only going to happen by electing a Democrat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeletalpeacock View Post
But at least she is a very experienced candidate with real accomplishments in governing. That is so not trump or Bernie. I like Bernie for his attitude, rhetoric, frequency of attending votes, and some very key policies. But Hillary also has a pretty liberal vote record. Side note- lol at black people picking Hillary over Bernie. They'd rather vote for the woman who worked with Walmart to keep the lower class down than a dude arrested at the actual civil rights movement. All because of some welfare shit the Clintons got passed in the 80s.

Does trump really need his own bit on this post? Come on. That guy makes me scared to watch idiocracy again.
I see so many people post things like 'fuck Hillary, I'll never vote for her because she's a shill, she's a warmongers, she's a .... etc. etc. ad infinitum, but all of the things they say they don't like about Hillary are guaranteed to be even worse with a Republican in the White House, especially one who is so brazenly corrupt as Donald Trump.

These people are willing to fuck themselves over to make some point to the universe, but the universe does not give a shit about their statement vote. If they really care, they need to find a local candidate who agrees with their positions and go volunteer for him or her, instead of posting on reddit.

Bernie lost and he sparked some good discussion, which is great, but people really need to make sure Trump doesn't get the chance to do all the bad shit he wants to do.
__________________
"look, i don't know who you are, but this is clearly overreacting." -- eveninghope
"TMZ is like Herpes it just kind of flares up and then recedes only to flair up again later but never totally going away." -- corenerd
lazarusl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 05:01 PM   #73
ennuistic
needs haircut
 
ennuistic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,956
Rep Power: 5533642
ennuistic , waysr?ennuistic , waysr?ennuistic , waysr?ennuistic , waysr?ennuistic , waysr?ennuistic , waysr?ennuistic , waysr?ennuistic , waysr?ennuistic , waysr?ennuistic , waysr?ennuistic , waysr?
Default Re: Berni for President

Young people hate Hillary simply because she is unexciting. It's hard to be enthusiastic when the only original thing about her campaign is that she's a woman. The argument is also not as superficial as you make it out to be.

You can expect a modest bump for the Democrats in Congress, but I don't think Hillary's campaign has the momentum to pull in any sort of majority, nor do I think she personally is willing to bump heads with Congress to achieve anything substantial.

Of course there's way too much at stake with this election, both in that there is a Supreme Court vacancy that swings the court immediately, and that there is a supreme idiot who could seriously harm the country on the Republican ticket. But it's extremely disappointing that this is the best argument for her campaign - i.e. the argument that appeals to independents.
__________________
Hindsight 2020.
ennuistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:26 PM   #74
lazarusl
grandpa
Repeat Contributor
 
lazarusl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,384
Rep Power: 20091531
lazarusl , waysr?lazarusl , waysr?lazarusl , waysr?lazarusl , waysr?lazarusl , waysr?lazarusl , waysr?lazarusl , waysr?lazarusl , waysr?lazarusl , waysr?lazarusl , waysr?lazarusl , waysr?
Default Re: Berni for President

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennuistic View Post
Young people hate Hillary simply because she is unexciting. It's hard to be enthusiastic when the only original thing about her campaign is that she's a woman. The argument is also not as superficial as you make it out to be.
I can't imagine that I presented a more superficial argument than you just did on behalf of the young people.

I imagine the "young people" saying things like this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idiot Millennials
Fuck Hillary, she's not exciting! She isn't promising change that will never, ever get through Congress! I'm going to vote for Sanders even though he's been in the Senate for a million years and never accomplished anything!
__________________
"look, i don't know who you are, but this is clearly overreacting." -- eveninghope
"TMZ is like Herpes it just kind of flares up and then recedes only to flair up again later but never totally going away." -- corenerd
lazarusl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:46 PM   #75
skeletalpeacock
Takes Credit & Dank Meme
Repeat Contributor
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 14,479
Rep Power: 21475160
skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.
Send a message via AIM to skeletalpeacock
Default Re: Berni for President

As a preamble, thank goodness we all agree Trump is like a meme gone horribly wrong instead of a real candidate.

And yeah it pains me to admit it but ultimately Hillary has done some serious good work, especially in foreign policy. A poli-sci major friend explained to me that She pretty much repaired our diplomatic relations with every hemisphere

Man I hope Bernie can bring it all together. It is his burden to bear. That's fair. Im down to be a part of helping that old fart finally do something big if he can get the structure going.

I do think the AP should have sat on at least carefully explained what determines Hillarys nomination. And just adding 1-2 words to the title would have made a lot less flashy of a headline but been way more ethical by my book.

And I guess we'll just have to disagree on emails which is fine. I was aware that she isn't literally in the military and tried to allude to that, but it doesn't come out clear when I read it back. I have found a decent number of good details on the emails. The problem is they come at a rate of one per week per article which is glacially slow. Added all together they paint a good picture but apart they're just blips nobody cares about.

It reminds me of how nobody cares about the Panama papers leak anymore. Iceland lost a prime minister or mayor or something then there was nothing obviously juicy left so the the topic is basically dead to everyone forever due to how our current news cycle is tailored. ( that being , a lump of juicy details all at once optimized with a flashy headline and a setup for easy fb/twitter navigation. One single detail story only works for celebrities.)

One week I'll read what the lawyers claim about so and so detail, then the next I'll see that a federal prosecutor has found it wrong. Rinse and repeat. The latest is that the FBI was indeed able to recover and access classified but unencrypted security files with compromising information. An older story claimed that China and Russia had both given that server a good hack attempt when it was active, with China actually getting in. Another weekly update has a former worker claiming that she was warned not to do it that way but demanded the setup regardless, complete with email proof.

She definitely and knowingly didn't handle classified info right. We definitely had attempts to access from rival nations. How bad that is goes to the domain of opinion I guess but it bothers me a lot.

Probably better info on banking later. the LLM que is calling me
skeletalpeacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 08:18 PM   #76
ennuistic
needs haircut
 
ennuistic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,956
Rep Power: 5533642
ennuistic , waysr?ennuistic , waysr?ennuistic , waysr?ennuistic , waysr?ennuistic , waysr?ennuistic , waysr?ennuistic , waysr?ennuistic , waysr?ennuistic , waysr?ennuistic , waysr?ennuistic , waysr?
Default Re: Berni for President

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarusl View Post
I can't imagine that I presented a more superficial argument than you just did on behalf of the young people.

I imagine the "young people" saying things like this:
Good on you for turning my argument into a straw man stump speech for Bernie Sanders.

Within your logic you admit that you have no problems with politicians working the system in order to get elected, but you don't seem to have any respect for people who don't share that view. Somehow their opinion is completely unreasonable to you.
__________________
Hindsight 2020.
ennuistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 08:40 PM   #77
lazarusl
grandpa
Repeat Contributor
 
lazarusl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,384
Rep Power: 20091531
lazarusl , waysr?lazarusl , waysr?lazarusl , waysr?lazarusl , waysr?lazarusl , waysr?lazarusl , waysr?lazarusl , waysr?lazarusl , waysr?lazarusl , waysr?lazarusl , waysr?lazarusl , waysr?
Default Re: Berni for President

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennuistic View Post
Good on you for turning my argument into a straw man stump speech for Bernie Sanders.

Within your logic you admit that you have no problems with politicians working the system in order to get elected, but you don't seem to have any respect for people who don't share that view. Somehow their opinion is completely unreasonable to you.
It's not so much that I have no problem with it, it's that it's unavoidable under our current system and to think otherwise is either unreasonable or naive.
__________________
"look, i don't know who you are, but this is clearly overreacting." -- eveninghope
"TMZ is like Herpes it just kind of flares up and then recedes only to flair up again later but never totally going away." -- corenerd
lazarusl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:33 PM   #78
eveninghope
Ms. Jackson if ya nasty
 
eveninghope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 7,229
Rep Power: 9533342
eveninghope , waysr?eveninghope , waysr?eveninghope , waysr?eveninghope , waysr?eveninghope , waysr?eveninghope , waysr?eveninghope , waysr?eveninghope , waysr?eveninghope , waysr?eveninghope , waysr?eveninghope , waysr?
Default Re: Berni for President

I think it goes beyond simply "unexciting," considering her popularity dip between SoS and now. Easily explained, but I don't think "unexciting" is has the greatest explanatory power. For me, this election put American tribalism at the forefront of the national conversation, e.g. old vs young, black vs white, women vs men, "progressive" vs "Democrat," rural vs urban, education level, and geography. She's a polarizing figure and we use that as a way to define ourselves. There's plenty of psych research that talks about how humans do/say/think certain things AND THEN come up with the justification for it. American culture by and large lacks strong ethnic or religious cultural identities that you find in other countries, which results in people carving out "tribes" out of what they can. So people love or hate her based on the media they consume (which is largely biased thanks to FB algorithms) and what members of their social circles say. And in the end, it's pretty easy to convince yourself and others that you have always been at war with East Asia.

Also, I would put Hillary's record on women's issues higher than her foreign policy experience, as I can see the latter being arguable (despite viewing most of her work as SoS positively), but the former has been pretty much consistent her entire career.


I also completely agree with this statement:
Quote:
It's not so much that I have no problem with it, it's that it's unavoidable under our current system and to think otherwise is either unreasonable or naive.
__________________
So much Prada on me, I'm a prodigy.

Last edited by eveninghope; 06-09-2016 at 10:01 PM.
eveninghope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 01:13 AM   #79
binger
You know who this is
Repeat Contributor
 
binger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 44,498
Rep Power: 21475760
binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.
Default Re: Berni for President



Can we agree this is the best thing ever?

People not listening to the lesser of 2 evil argument are stupid. We make these kinds of decisions all the time.

I ended up listening to Hannity on my drive to Austin and conservative America is scary. Trump is even scarier, like Palin scary.

Of course Bernie could just Nader it up and we can have 8 more years of Bush. But hey, at least you stuck to your principles and didn't vote for the lesser of 2 evils.
__________________
Disclaimer: I'm serious.

 
binger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 04:36 AM   #80
Tsung
Yosemite?
Repeat Contributor
 
Tsung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 7,551
Rep Power: 15243623
Tsung , waysr?Tsung , waysr?Tsung , waysr?Tsung , waysr?Tsung , waysr?Tsung , waysr?Tsung , waysr?Tsung , waysr?Tsung , waysr?Tsung , waysr?Tsung , waysr?
Default Re: Berni for President

Didn't Rice and Powell also have state emails go to private servers? What was substantially different between their cases and Hillary's?

It's really stupid to take things that Bill did and extend them to Hillary's record. If you want to attack her on her voting record and SoS policies, go nuts; they're things she actually did. But to fault "The Clintons" for anything bad that happened during the 90's as if they're joined at the hip and to tie her to any of Bill's infidelities is really dumb.
__________________
 
Tsung is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.