Texas Magic Zone  

Go Back   Texas Magic Zone > Magic the Gathering > Magic General Discussion

Old 01-09-2017, 12:54 PM   #11
phuqdao
Everliving Decayed Form
Administrator

phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?
Default Re: B/R Announcement - Standard Ban?

Panharmonicon with Saheeli Twin combo.

You owe me: ----- I owe you: Jonasdash-$1
phuqdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 01:11 PM   #12
Ophidian
I'm always angry
Repeat Contributor

Ophidian , waysr?Ophidian , waysr?Ophidian , waysr?Ophidian , waysr?Ophidian , waysr?Ophidian , waysr?Ophidian , waysr?Ophidian , waysr?Ophidian , waysr?Ophidian , waysr?Ophidian , waysr?

The question now,

Copter is going to plummet in price -- is it worth spec'ing under the assumption that it will be unbanned?
Old 01-09-2017, 01:35 PM   #13
JonasDash
ALL GLORY TO HYPNOTOAD
Contributor

JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophidian View Post
The question now,

Copter is going to plummet in price -- is it worth spec'ing under the assumption that it will be unbanned?

no. thought it might be worth picking up a dozen copies or so for Modern, everyone is panic selling them cheap now... and there's rumblings that U/B Faeries might be back now that it has Copter and Fatal Push to help it

The match of the century, absence versus thin air

Wagers

JonasDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 02:43 PM   #14
blake31678
pitchslapped
ContributorModerator

blake31678 , waysr?blake31678 , waysr?blake31678 , waysr?blake31678 , waysr?blake31678 , waysr?blake31678 , waysr?blake31678 , waysr?blake31678 , waysr?blake31678 , waysr?blake31678 , waysr?blake31678 , waysr?

equipping Copter with the fresh BB token does seem pretty hot.
blake31678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 02:53 PM   #15
Tobey
Not at those prices
Repeat Contributor

Tobey , waysr?Tobey , waysr?Tobey , waysr?Tobey , waysr?Tobey , waysr?Tobey , waysr?Tobey , waysr?Tobey , waysr?Tobey , waysr?Tobey , waysr?Tobey , waysr?

Holy shit I can't remember that many cards being banned in standard since affinity.

I haven't played the current standard, is it that bad?
Tobey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 03:58 PM   #16
skeletalpeacock
Takes Credit & Dank Meme
Repeat Contributor

skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.
Send a message via AIM to skeletalpeacock

No its not that bad by any math. But there are definitely 2 decks at the top and we live in a new era of magic.

I think I said it a few weeks ago, but WOTC has reshaped itself to be customer service oriented.

Which in this case means bans for the sake of diversity and quelling complaints are now on the table, even if its standard. How things really are and playtesting are now out the window. If you see enough people complaining, it's now time to sell the offensive cards.
skeletalpeacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:11 AM   #17
blake31678
pitchslapped
ContributorModerator

blake31678 , waysr?blake31678 , waysr?blake31678 , waysr?blake31678 , waysr?blake31678 , waysr?blake31678 , waysr?blake31678 , waysr?blake31678 , waysr?blake31678 , waysr?blake31678 , waysr?blake31678 , waysr?

Rough for people that don't have that much money and bought into one particular deck, and now their cards aren't worth enough to transfer into another one. But maybe that's just a small enough demographic that they can afford to lose them?
blake31678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:02 AM   #18
Ophidian
I'm always angry
Repeat Contributor

Ophidian , waysr?Ophidian , waysr?Ophidian , waysr?Ophidian , waysr?Ophidian , waysr?Ophidian , waysr?Ophidian , waysr?Ophidian , waysr?Ophidian , waysr?Ophidian , waysr?Ophidian , waysr?

All of this seems silly to me. They banned all of those cards, but the PT is going to be Saheeli-Cat combo everywhere. The marquee card of this PT is going to be a former bulk PW from the previous set.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:35 AM   #19
lazarusl
grandpa
Repeat Contributor

lazarusl , waysr?lazarusl , waysr?lazarusl , waysr?lazarusl , waysr?lazarusl , waysr?lazarusl , waysr?lazarusl , waysr?lazarusl , waysr?lazarusl , waysr?lazarusl , waysr?lazarusl , waysr?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophidian View Post
All of this seems silly to me. They banned all of those cards, but the PT is going to be Saheeli-Cat combo everywhere. The marquee card of this PT is going to be a former bulk PW from the previous set.
Is it? Isn't that sorcery speed combo really disruptable?
Old 01-10-2017, 12:26 PM   #20
skeletalpeacock
Takes Credit & Dank Meme
Repeat Contributor

skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.
Send a message via AIM to skeletalpeacock

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeletalpeacock View Post
No its not that bad by any math. But there are definitely 2 decks at the top and we live in a new era of magic.

I think I said it a few weeks ago, but WOTC has reshaped itself to be customer service oriented.

Which in this case means bans for the sake of diversity and quelling complaints are now on the table, even if its standard. How things really are and playtesting are now out the window. If you see enough people complaining, it's now time to sell the offensive cards.
I can elaborate on this, and it's important to add that it may ultimately be good for the game

For many years now, they've been responding to pro articles and the typical ensuing social media buzz in regards to rule, policy, and other regulatory changes, plus general happenings and people the community has decided are on the shit list.

Then they experimented with diversity/ "fun increasing"/ community outcry based bans in modern. Doing it in standard is the natural continuation of the whole process years in the making. We will see what happens. I think these bans are ultimately going to bring attendance up, and at a rate much higher than it will alienate people who freshly invested in banned cards.

Again to be clear, we had a 2 deck meta, but it was not due to utterly busted cards like stoneforge mystic and Jace. And aether revolt has very obvious answers to problem cards in it. This is a radical departure from the "wait and see" policy. The biggest indicator of that is that reflector mage is also banned.it has received many complaints for being unfun and for limited the ability to play large creatures, but plainly isn't close to busted. Even in a new meta game without emrakul and copter, it clearly wouldn't be busted. It's a preemptive diversity ban, no contest.

Ultimately, I fear that one day WOTC will listen when it shouldn't. Communities aren't exactly known for knowing what's best for them, especially fan or fantasy communities. How many tv shows or games have we seen ruined by listening to the fans over devising your own solution? Shit, we already saw it when they banned a guy for bad PR imo. I think it's reasonable to expect a much worse and more universal occasion where they listen when they really shouldn't.

I guess time will tell.

Last edited by skeletalpeacock; 01-10-2017 at 12:28 PM.
skeletalpeacock is offline   Reply With Quote