Texas Magic Zone  

Go Back   Texas Magic Zone > Other Stuff > Gamer Blogs!

Old 09-15-2016, 03:46 PM   #5621
skeletalpeacock
Takes Credit & Dank Meme
Repeat Contributor

skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.
Send a message via AIM to skeletalpeacock
Default Re: Peacock's Flight Record

I think the dogs thing is going to come down to camera footage because currently protestors are claiming they were released and the company says they were chained.

Surely someone got that on a cell or security cam, right? I feel like it should be on liveleak by now.

And yeah it is about giving a big fuck you to oil companies. I don't mean to downplay the fact that there is a lot to be angry about with the industry, but rather to point out that this catylst for that fight is built on one of the rare non-issues.

I think that's funny in a strange ironic way. And interestingly it seems a lot of historical fights have been initiated on similar sketchy grounds that finally served as the pin prick to the balloon of tension. Like say, a tax on imported tea that results in that tea still being cheaper than native options.
skeletalpeacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:08 PM   #5622
skeletalpeacock
Takes Credit & Dank Meme
Repeat Contributor

skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.

I have not seen one single correct thing in this thread

https://www.reddit.com/r/science/com...ggered_by_oil/
Old 09-23-2016, 07:46 PM   #5623
grimlock
I'm On Big Brother!
Repeat Contributor

grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.
Send a message via AIM to grimlock Send a message via Skype™ to grimlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeletalpeacock View Post
I have not seen one single correct thing in this thread

https://www.reddit.com/r/science/com...ggered_by_oil/
So then what is the current theory for quakes in Texas and Oklahoma that don't appear to be causes by hot faultline action?
grimlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:17 PM   #5624
skeletalpeacock
Takes Credit & Dank Meme
Repeat Contributor

I should have said comment thread instead of just thread. The earthquakes are indeed industry related. But not due to fracing.

I would be happy to discuss it in person. I'm not in the mood to type an essay right now.

Highlights are some guy who thinks fracing is destroying rocks so oil will magically shoot up and the weirdly popular "water lubricates the faults".
Old 09-23-2016, 08:29 PM   #5625
grimlock
I'm On Big Brother!
Repeat Contributor

grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.

Quote:
I should have said comment thread instead of just thread. The earthquakes are indeed industry related. But not due to fracing.

I would be happy to discuss it in person. I'm not in the mood to type an essay right now.

Highlights are some guy who thinks fracing is destroying rocks so oil will magically shoot up and the weirdly popular "water lubricates the faults".
So you're basically saying that the noose killed black people hung up on trees and not the mob standing around watching?
Old 09-23-2016, 08:42 PM   #5626
phuqdao
Everliving Decayed Form
Administrator

phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?phuqdao , waysr?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock View Post
So you're basically saying that the noose killed black people hung up on trees and not the mob standing around watching?

You owe me: ----- I owe you: Jonasdash-$1
phuqdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:56 PM   #5627
skeletalpeacock
Takes Credit & Dank Meme
Repeat Contributor

Quote:
sounds like you're from the comments too
Old 09-23-2016, 09:06 PM   #5628
snackdaddy's
Moist & Accomodating

snackdaddy's , waysr?snackdaddy's , waysr?snackdaddy's , waysr?snackdaddy's , waysr?snackdaddy's , waysr?snackdaddy's , waysr?snackdaddy's , waysr?snackdaddy's , waysr?snackdaddy's , waysr?snackdaddy's , waysr?snackdaddy's , waysr?

Quote:
he has an undergrad degree so he basically knows everything there is to know about his chosen field of study.
snackdaddy's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:43 PM   #5629
grimlock
I'm On Big Brother!
Repeat Contributor

Quote:
sounds like you're from the comments too
I mean I know you're talking about mechanism of action and not by product of a process. Are you saying that we could have done the exact same fracing in the exact same spot with different processes than what were used and not be having earthquakes?
Old 09-24-2016, 02:59 AM   #5630
skeletalpeacock
Takes Credit & Dank Meme
Repeat Contributor

Yes, because the earthquakes are caused by injecting wste saltwater from the fracturing process back into the formation is disposal wells, and that is what causes the earthquakes.

First of all, waste water is produced by anything involving a well, not just fracturing. Secondly, it is easily possible to frac and wind up with water clean enough to ship to a local processing plant.

Frequently, NIMBY people won't allow it because they are scared of water with unknown chemicals going to their treatment plant. Ok fine- so test it then, maybe?

But that's well beside the point because unles you're in one of the scarce places where they mandate that you must recycle or purify all of your waste water, you can either pay 2-3$ a barrel to have it hauled off to a plant after some preliminary onsite cleaning or you can dump it down an old and dead well or a you can complete a dry hole that was doing nothing then dump it there. 1 in 10 holes is dry even today, might as well try to recoup some cost. Drilling is an upper X00,000$ to lower few million$ process and easily the most expensive part of making a well.

But it turns out that when you dispose of your salt/wastewater this way, in specific formations that (so far) seem to be unique to Oklahoma and north Texas, and you use high pressure to force it down, you cause minor earthquakes that can build to he serious ones over time. You are not lubricating faults, you are fucking up the very distribution of in-Situ forces. Or perhaps something else. But definitely not lubricating, becauas that is how any of this works. The ground isn't full of pretty little blocks stacked neatly together that you can lubricate to force to slide like in the textbooks where you might learn about a hanging wall and a foot wall.

These disposal wells need to be illegal, and yesterday. The mechanisms at play need more research, and it needs to happen 5 years ago. The official papers on this are like 18 months old max and don't even mention the mechanism yet.

Deep saltwater injection wells should be banned. And again, those are not implicitly linked to fracturing and need not even be involved in the process whatsoever.

But companies will keep using them over options because it's cheaper, ethics be damned. Another big thing is that as soon as companies admit they did this, the lawsuits come. So expect nobody to admit it until it's way worse because there currently isn't the science to prove it in court.

Personally, I'm looking at doing things on the reservoir engineering side at decent companies who practice full water recycling on site. I don't really feel like knocking down grandpas farm.

Last edited by skeletalpeacock; 09-24-2016 at 03:07 AM.