Texas Magic Zone  

Go Back   Texas Magic Zone > Other Stuff > Gamer Blogs!

Old 09-24-2016, 03:26 AM   #5631
skeletalpeacock
Takes Credit & Dank Meme
Repeat Contributor

skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.
Send a message via AIM to skeletalpeacock
Default Re: Peacock's Flight Record

Also for the record, I don't think anyone is a retarded for not knowing any of this stuff because decent knowledge about it somehow isn't in the pubic domain and the reporting on it is all very sensationalist and often spreads lies.

I don't know why you have to lie about how it all works when ultimately the industry is still the boogeyman that you want it to be in many ways. I feel like a lot of it starts from reporters just looking at some stuff and making a report on what they make of it instead of consulting an expert.
This lubricate the faults myth is egregious, as are the weird things I read about that people think fracking is and how it's going to make your water flammable. Tell me more about that time you watched "gasland" and didn't bother to google that flammable water is common in mining or well heavy towns and had been there for like 70 years already. Water wells have methane creep in naturally, and other nastier things.

How the industry uses chemicals that are secret and deadly is a valid concern but ultimately a frac recipe has never once gotten into the water table from anything other than some cheapskate dumping their wastewater illegally. Yet all I hear about is leaking wells. Google for leaking wells and you won't find any credible reports on shore. And you won't find anything on any US well ever leaking directly into the water table. Yet omg fracking will ruin my water!

And the chemicals in that stuff are proprietary information worth millions. It's not a vast conspiracy or whatever. FYI, frack water is 98-99.7% water then some gelling agent then some acids like hydrcholoric or hydroflouric. Probaly a dash of anti-organics to kill bacteria. And defintely some cross-linking polymer.

Last edited by skeletalpeacock; 09-24-2016 at 03:27 AM.
skeletalpeacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 03:31 AM   #5632
skeletalpeacock
Takes Credit & Dank Meme
Repeat Contributor

skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.

Oh and while I'm at it- y'all know that famous clip of an oil guy being told by the court to drink a glass of dirty frac water if he feels it's safe?

Complete BS. That was an example of water that was clean enough to get finished at a water treatment plant, but not yet actually potable. The people egging him on and saying that in the video were all super NIMBY and had no idea what was really going on with it.
Old 09-25-2016, 11:51 PM   #5633
Klutz
Mountain Man
Contributor

Klutz , waysr?Klutz , waysr?Klutz , waysr?Klutz , waysr?Klutz , waysr?Klutz , waysr?Klutz , waysr?Klutz , waysr?Klutz , waysr?Klutz , waysr?Klutz , waysr?

I swear I've seen the wastewater likely cause discussed more recently on the BBC but these are the only links I can find, and the newer one is two years old:

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-28128772

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-21952428

Klutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 11:54 PM   #5634
skeletalpeacock
Takes Credit & Dank Meme
Repeat Contributor

Yep. Deep saltwater injection wells. Not the actual fracturing.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:57 AM   #5635
sage.sam
I'm yer huckleberry
Repeat Contributor

sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeletalpeacock View Post
Yes, because the earthquakes are caused by injecting wste saltwater from the fracturing process back into the formation is disposal wells, and that is what causes the earthquakes.
I can buy that injecting water causes quakes at that time. (Also, the "lubrication" theory is total hogwash.)

That said, I have to believe that fracturing the bedrock with explosive force makes quakes more likely. In truth, we cannot know how far those cracks go.

Quote:
First of all, waste water is produced by anything involving a well, not just fracturing. Secondly, it is easily possible to frac and wind up with water clean enough to ship to a local processing plant.

Frequently, NIMBY people won't allow it because they are scared of water with unknown chemicals going to their treatment plant. Ok fine- so test it then, maybe?
The problem with this is that big oil does not tell anyone what is in their fraccing fluid. How do I know what to test for? I don't have an ingredient list. Also, it's getting shoved into the ground. Are you going to tell me that 100% of that fluid gets returned to the surface?

Quote:
But companies will keep using them over options because it's cheaper, ethics be damned.
This.

The other way that these chemicals get disposed is through open pits and evaporation. Put it all in a lined pit, put aerator-style sprayers and let the sun evaporate it. See above comment about "WTF is in that?" on whether that is OK. It's definitely cheap, and nobody can tell them not to do it... because I can't prove it's illegal if I don't know what you're putting into it to start.

Honestly, the oil companies' worst enemy is themselves. Some openness, clarity, and public scrutiny of their science might benefit them greatly.
sage.sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 02:08 PM   #5636
skeletalpeacock
Takes Credit & Dank Meme
Repeat Contributor

I think that for all of the following reasons-

You and klutz and a non-zero amount of other people here are so inclined

There is no good public info on so much of this stuff when there should be

It's fun to write about anyway

Cock

It's good to make people aware of what aspects of things they should really fear instead of what's media hype nonsense or general misinformation to sell

Cock again

This stuff is still very important to our future for the next few decades, and you could argue forever since oil companies are some of the biggest investors and stakeholders in alternative energy sources.

I will write up a report with some diagrams and what not on how we know what forces are at work in the ground, a huge info drop on fracturing including ingredients, some other general design aspects of a well, and how it all connects. Hopefully I do this by Friday bedore draftathon and a general hell week.
Old 09-27-2016, 01:15 PM   #5637
sage.sam
I'm yer huckleberry
Repeat Contributor

sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeletalpeacock View Post
There is no good public info on so much of this stuff when there should be
I've found a little, but it's all either through oil-lobbies or through fear mongers. Like many things, the truth is certainly somewhere between the two.

Quote:
It's good to make people aware of what aspects of things they should really fear instead of what's media hype nonsense or general misinformation to sell
Exactly.

Quote:
...how we know what forces are at work in the ground, a huge info drop on fracturing including ingredients, some other general design aspects of a well, and how it all connects.
I probably know more than the average person, but obv I'm neither a geologist nor a (specifically) petroleum engineer. I do have an aerospace degree, so have studied fluid dynamics among other things. From that, I know how hard it is to make a fluid flow the way you want.
Old 09-27-2016, 01:16 PM   #5638
sage.sam
I'm yer huckleberry
Repeat Contributor

Oh yeah, I forgot something...

Old 10-02-2016, 07:53 PM   #5639
Weazy
Punter
Contributor

Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?

You should have this in your wardrobe, if you're inclined to wear sports jerseys that is...

http://imgur.com/a/ixOib

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage.sam View Post
Yeah, SRSLY. STFU and play your own match.

Last edited by Weazy; 10-03-2016 at 09:29 AM.
Weazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 01:42 PM   #5640
skeletalpeacock
Takes Credit & Dank Meme
Repeat Contributor

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/10/entert...l-trespassing/

Lol.

Did not forget about writing oilfield overview. Finally started it. Had two midterms and three group projects with presentations due over the past 10 days.

The plan is an overview from exploration to downstream, then depth on fracking. PDF.