Texas Magic Zone  

Go Back   Texas Magic Zone > Other Stuff > Gamer Blogs!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2016, 07:25 AM   #721
Weazy
Punter
Contributor
 
Weazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Kingwood, Texas
Posts: 1,453
Rep Power: 8455711
Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?
Default Re: The Chronicles of Weazy

Curious about this new Frontier format that's been building up a little buzz lately. For those that don't know, it's a fan created constructed format that is all sets from M15 and newer.

I want to brew up a few decks and jam some games......guess I shoulda held on to more of the older sets rather than selling them off before they rotated. The plus to that is if I buy back in now I'm still on the positive side since the rares / mythics have pretty much plummeted.

There's rumblings that this could be the next iteration of Modern....which I could see happened seeing how Modern was essentially a format that Wizards created to respond a fan created format....

Top decks in this format, off the top of my head would be Abzan (siege rhino decks) and Dark Jeskai....
__________________
Bets
 


Quote:
Originally Posted by sage.sam View Post
Yeah, SRSLY. STFU and play your own match.
Weazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 07:55 AM   #722
JonasDash
ALL GLORY TO HYPNOTOAD
Contributor
 
JonasDash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Tx
Posts: 14,101
Rep Power: 21475153
JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.
Default Re: The Chronicles of Weazy

format is a midrange lovers dream. abzan, rally, & grixis control are basically the format tiers. there might be something insanely busted (like blazing shoal levels of broken) just waiting to be discovered, but I don't care enough to try to find it.

personally I'd much rather that they do something closer to over-extended with a completely overhauled banned list. My preference would be Masques or Invasion block forward and sets are added to the format only AFTER they rotate from Standard. All the fetches and phyrexian mana would be banned, as well as the insane turn 2/3 win enablers and truly broken cards like Skullclamp, Hypergensis, etc.
__________________


The match of the century, absence versus thin air

Wagers
 

Last edited by JonasDash; 12-07-2016 at 07:56 AM.
JonasDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 08:02 AM   #723
skeletalpeacock
Takes Credit & Dank Meme
Repeat Contributor
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 14,484
Rep Power: 21475160
skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.
Send a message via AIM to skeletalpeacock
Default Re: The Chronicles of Weazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weazy View Post
Curious about this new Frontier format that's been building up a little buzz lately. For those that don't know, it's a fan created constructed format that is all sets from M15 and newer.

I want to brew up a few decks and jam some games......guess I shoulda held on to more of the older sets rather than selling them off before they rotated. The plus to that is if I buy back in now I'm still on the positive side since the rares / mythics have pretty much plummeted.

There's rumblings that this could be the next iteration of Modern....which I could see happened seeing how Modern was essentially a format that Wizards created to respond a fan created format....

Top decks in this format, off the top of my head would be Abzan (siege rhino decks) and Dark Jeskai....
That format is terrible and only exists for people complaining about card prices in modern

Which is dumb as hell since a tier one frontier deck is still 400$ while 500$ is a modern deck. Thus proving that anybody claiming the format is a huge money saver either should not be playing constructed at all due to insufficient budget, or is just fishing for an excuse to play their rotated standard deck.

Yes it's a midrange fuck fest, and yes those are the best decks plus a souped up rally the peasants deck
skeletalpeacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 08:21 AM   #724
Weazy
Punter
Contributor
 
Weazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Kingwood, Texas
Posts: 1,453
Rep Power: 8455711
Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?
Default Re: The Chronicles of Weazy

I could see how it's a slopfest for midrange. I was curious if control was any good in the format seeing how there's a decent suite of removal, counters, card draw and torrential gearhulk. Gearhulk on Dig Through Time has to feel slightly naughty. Not to mention planeswalkers look OP since you don't have access to Hero's downfall, only ruinous path.

Aggro seems like it could be pretty sweet, too. Lots of powerful 1 and 2 drops and good removal across those sets.....

I'm all for trying out new formats. Wasn't super-extended the catalyst that kicked off Modern as we know it today?

As for the B/R list....I think it looks like Wizards keeps tweaking things based on player base feedback.....basically mass outcry when something dominates a format. Which, to me, seems like a BS case since Modern seems like a pretty diverse format. Control, Aggro, Combo, Midrange...all viable. Banning stuff like Twin and Pod didn't make much sense to me, but that could be because I didn't mind playing against those decks. You want to ban something, get rid of fucking infect. Changing your life total to 10, imo, is pretty shitty.

Would unbanning things like Jace and Stoneforge hurt modern? Hell if I know but I think it would be fun as hell to have those cards along with Pod and Twin back in the format. Open the flood gates.
__________________
Bets
 


Quote:
Originally Posted by sage.sam View Post
Yeah, SRSLY. STFU and play your own match.
Weazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 11:45 AM   #725
binger
You know who this is
Repeat Contributor
 
binger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 44,498
Rep Power: 21475760
binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.
Default Re: The Chronicles of Weazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeletalpeacock View Post
Which is dumb as hell since a tier one frontier deck is still 400$ while 500$ is a modern deck.
It's not $400 if someone has most of the cards already. The barrier of entry for me to play Modern wouldn't be nearly as high because I have the duals compared to legacy(where I have none). I'm sure that's why it's popular.
__________________
Disclaimer: I'm serious.

 
binger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 12:20 PM   #726
skeletalpeacock
Takes Credit & Dank Meme
Repeat Contributor
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 14,484
Rep Power: 21475160
skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.
Send a message via AIM to skeletalpeacock
Default Re: The Chronicles of Weazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by binger View Post
It's not $400 if someone has most of the cards already. The barrier of entry for me to play Modern wouldn't be nearly as high because I have the duals compared to legacy(where I have none). I'm sure that's why it's popular.
Right so, the very next sentence?
skeletalpeacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 03:37 PM   #727
skeletalpeacock
Takes Credit & Dank Meme
Repeat Contributor
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 14,484
Rep Power: 21475160
skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.
Send a message via AIM to skeletalpeacock
Default Re: The Chronicles of Weazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeletalpeacock View Post
Right so, the very next sentence?
This sounds kind of dickish so I'll elaborate.

So the advocates of the format claim that this will lower the barrier for entry to all players

But it doesn't. It costs 80% of modern and it requires standard cards from the past 5 years. This format is only easier financially if you're a 2-5 year player. Random newer dude looking for a more powerful constructed is not being helped, and as such claims of the financial benefits to the community are very dubious at best.

Of course the ratio from newer player to few year veteran matters too. It turns out that newer player and kitchen table player who might move into a constructed format from edh and duel decks with a few boosters are so massive that not including them in the discussion is not really defining a new format good for everyone and the bottom line at wotc.

There will also be players who have to pick between modern and frontier.

TL;DR- the supposed finance benefits of frontier "for the community" aren't helping anyone but few year veteran players who missed the boat on modern being cheaper, and they're vastly outnumbered by other player types.

Addendum-

I feel like players in this few year veteran category are absurd whiners. Whining has a long history in magic, but good sweet fucking lord. These players want to play fast and loose with retarded meme-like magic terminology in the same breath with which they talk about making the community noob friendly.

They want to ban anything that they deem "unfun" in any format, raise a social media stink over absolutely anything and expect no blowback because they're right and smart, and talk about how accepting and tolerant we should strive to become while offering no solutions but taking potshots at people actual trying or discussing things if they even remotely disagree.
skeletalpeacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 03:49 PM   #728
Weazy
Punter
Contributor
 
Weazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Kingwood, Texas
Posts: 1,453
Rep Power: 8455711
Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?
Default Re: The Chronicles of Weazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeletalpeacock View Post
This sounds kind of dickish so I'll elaborate.

So the advocates of the format claim that this will lower the barrier for entry to all players

But it doesn't. It costs 80% of modern and it requires standard cards from the past 5 years. This format is only easier financially if you're a 2-5 year player. Random newer dude looking for a more powerful constructed is not being helped, and as such claims of the financial benefits to the community are very dubious at best.

Of course the ratio from newer player to few year veteran matters too. It turns out that newer player and kitchen table player who might move into a constructed format from edh and duel decks with a few boosters are so massive that not including them in the discussion is not really defining a new format good for everyone and the bottom line at wotc.

There will also be players who have to pick between modern and frontier.

TL;DR- the supposed finance benefits of frontier "for the community" aren't helping anyone but few year veteran players who missed the boat on modern being cheaper, and they're vastly outnumbered by other player types.

Addendum-

I feel like players in this few year veteran category are absurd whiners. Whining has a long history in magic, but good sweet fucking lord. These players want to play fast and loose with retarded meme-like magic terminology in the same breath with which they talk about making the community noob friendly.

They want to ban anything that they deem "unfun" in any format, raise a social media stink over absolutely anything and expect no blowback because they're right and smart, and talk about how accepting and tolerant we should strive to become while offering no solutions but taking potshots at people actual trying or discussing things if they even remotely disagree.
I've heard part of the argument being made for the format was that it should be more 'balanced'....not exactly sure what the intent of the comment was but I took it to mean that there wasn't really busted decks / combo running around and people could play a game of magic without getting T2 locked / killed. Which, to me, has some appeal to be honest. I also like Modern so I'm not saying one is better than the other, I just like having another format that allows me to brew and talk with other players about. It's interesting.
__________________
Bets
 


Quote:
Originally Posted by sage.sam View Post
Yeah, SRSLY. STFU and play your own match.
Weazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 05:26 PM   #729
binger
You know who this is
Repeat Contributor
 
binger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 44,498
Rep Power: 21475760
binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.
Default Re: The Chronicles of Weazy

If you want to play a balanced format play standard.

You can't make 8 different formats varying by number of sets and hope each catches on.
__________________
Disclaimer: I'm serious.

 
binger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 05:26 PM   #730
skeletalpeacock
Takes Credit & Dank Meme
Repeat Contributor
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 14,484
Rep Power: 21475160
skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.
Send a message via AIM to skeletalpeacock
Default Re: The Chronicles of Weazy

I think wotc needs to ban all the bullshit or none of it unless it enables turn 1 and 2s.

To that end, I don't know why simian spirit guide is around when chrome mox isn't.

Infect is definitely bullshit, but some dude getting you on his 5-10% turn 1-2 combo deck that can't win against one disruption spell and a clock is not a sign of a problem.

It's also possible that they just cut out 8th and 9th edition to phase out the cards that lead to people's biggest complaints, like bridge and blood moon and to a much lesser extent, choke. Probably ban chalice of the void and hurt infect somehow after that. Then I think most complaints about "bullshit draws and games" will end.

I don't agree with taking those steps, but that's still better than an entirely new format.
skeletalpeacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.