Texas Magic Zone  

Go Back   Texas Magic Zone > General Forums > General Discussion

Old 02-14-2017, 02:18 PM   #1641
skeletalpeacock
Takes Credit & Dank Meme
Repeat Contributor

skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.
Send a message via AIM to skeletalpeacock
Default Re: Berni for President

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarusl View Post
We'll see. I think he will be such a disaster that the Dems win the House in 2018, and the GOP will cut its losses at some point and go along with impeaching him to save the party (this could easily happen before 2018 if the polls are bad enough). That's the correct long-term play but it will come at the cost of losing Congress and the White House in 2020.

The problem is that doesn't address the issues you note with the Democratic Party, and some liberals will see it as a chance to push the envelope into territory others will consider radical.

Or, we'll be at war with China, North Korea, and Iran, which turns into WW3 when Putin tries to expand his territory further into Europe, and Trump & Bannon will use the war as an excuse to suspend the Constitution in general.
Yeah it has to be handled delicately. The democrats should stay at their current level they are now and not trend any further left of they want that outcome. I think if we see something even slightly more radical, and certainly something that doesn't offer jobs or whatever, we could just get another Trump.

Still can't quite handle that 5-7 years ago the president was heading a reality show, being roasted on Comedy Central, and bashing Kristen Stewart on twitter for her relationship with Robert Pattinson.

I imagine that any war situation could easily spin out to world war 3 due to gross incompetency of the administration. I suppose that will depend on how forgiving and insightful foreign adminstrations are about whatever matter the Trump team will inevitably stir up. Because it won't be the Trump admin doing homework and de-escalating.
skeletalpeacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 02:26 PM   #1642
skeletalpeacock
Takes Credit & Dank Meme
Repeat Contributor

skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarusl View Post
I know a lot of women who are sexist toward other women.

Fuck, this is before your time, but one of Hillary's first scandals was when she responded to Bill's infidelity shit by saying she was no Tammy Wynette, standing by her man. Women, especially in the midwest, went fucking nuts over that. They were so offended that she dared to suggest a woman shouldn't just smile and stand by her man when he gets caught fucking other women. I feel like women are infinitely more likely to vote against a woman than black people are to vote against a black candidate or hispanics are to vote against an hispanic. Again, a large segment of America is only willing to vote for a woman if she's in the Sarah Palin, bible-thumping, family values mode.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/sto...es-1992-214275
Damn son. Consider me redpilled on this matter. I have had multiple women tell me that they wouldn't vote for another women for various stereotype reasons.

A note on terminology- redpill is a verb for being given a dose of truth, like in the matrix. The sexist men's forum that shares a name is pure coincidence. You will probably see alt-righers using references to both though. Redpill as a verb is kind of infiltrating into all political discourse now. It's still pretty new so I thought I'd explain it with this blurb to adults who aren't trolling shitposts on Reddit all day to decipher the nuances. I wouldn't be surprised if the media began to give it the Pepe treatment if it catches on even more, as it did eventually filter through the altright no matter the origin.
Old 02-14-2017, 02:41 PM   #1643
Tsung
Yosemite?
Repeat Contributor

Tsung , waysr?Tsung , waysr?Tsung , waysr?Tsung , waysr?Tsung , waysr?Tsung , waysr?Tsung , waysr?Tsung , waysr?Tsung , waysr?Tsung , waysr?Tsung , waysr?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeletalpeacock View Post
Your last paragraph. It's a game. Not a genuine discourse of enlightened, tolerant individuals exchanging ideas for the wellbeing of society. Republicans are playing it. Democrats are taking the high road, which dead-ends at a loss after falling off a cliff.

Most people aren't going to read anything but a headline, if anything at all about the news. Factor in that they don't trust the main stream media anymore and then all you have left is horrible headlines about democrats. If any of them so much as glanced at CNN or whatever, they probably heard about how racist and sexist their beliefs are or transgender bathrooms or something totally unrelatable like that.

Step one is probably not saying that kind of thing, even if you're certain it's true. Step zero is ending clickbait headlines, since those lying headlines wind up becoming the primary source of people's ideas instead of the articles content. Step three is offering something for everyone. There are people in the rust belt just following Maslow's hierarchy of needs. They would probably care more about social issues if they had some kind of positive message about jobs first.
Yesterday's Last Week Tonight was essentially about this whole reliance on news thing and it's basically about how the whole Trump echo chamber is established. Trump himself takes cues from Fox, Breitbart, and Infowars but says says don't trust the media, and his supporters buy into the whole "if I want news I get it straight from the president." It's how you establish million of illegal of voters as fact with the base without any evidence: it's the truth if the president says it, and the president says it because he saw it somewhere and believes it. Comical and terrifying at the same time.

On the flip side there was this piece on how Pelosi was woefully inadequate as a spokesperson for the left. Between "staying on message" when it didn't make sense and screwing up the rally and confusing Trump with Bush, yeah things look bleak if that's who we're keeping at the forefront.

Tsung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 02:48 PM   #1644
Tsung
Yosemite?
Repeat Contributor

Tsung , waysr?Tsung , waysr?Tsung , waysr?Tsung , waysr?Tsung , waysr?Tsung , waysr?Tsung , waysr?Tsung , waysr?Tsung , waysr?Tsung , waysr?Tsung , waysr?

Quote:
Still can't quite handle that 5-7 years ago the president was heading a reality show, being roasted on Comedy Central, and bashing Kristen Stewart on twitter for her relationship with Robert Pattinson.

Start at 0:45. Basically him retelling this story of his Trump roast.

Old 02-14-2017, 02:57 PM   #1645
skeletalpeacock
Takes Credit & Dank Meme
Repeat Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsung View Post

Start at 0:45. Basically him retelling this story of his Trump roast.
Jesus that roast was actually in 04?

These are the political videos I like the most btw. They aren't about things that we may or may not ever be able to prove. They're pure revelations about true character. The man was in a closed room and his whole view on a topic flip flopped when his ego was checked. Our president.
Old 02-14-2017, 03:03 PM   #1646
skeletalpeacock
Takes Credit & Dank Meme
Repeat Contributor

Quote:
Yesterday's Last Week Tonight was essentially about this whole reliance on news thing and it's basically about how the whole Trump echo chamber is established. Trump himself takes cues from Fox, Breitbart, and Infowars but says says don't trust the media, and his supporters buy into the whole "if I want news I get it straight from the president." It's how you establish million of illegal of voters as fact with the base without any evidence: it's the truth if the president says it, and the president says it because he saw it somewhere and believes it. Comical and terrifying at the same time.

On the flip side there was this piece on how Pelosi was woefully inadequate as a spokesperson for the left. Between "staying on message" when it didn't make sense and screwing up the rally and confusing Trump with Bush, yeah things look bleak if that's who we're keeping at the forefront.
I like last week tonight but I don't watch because I feel like he's part of the political problems he parodies, making him a hypocrite, and that people need to lay off the republicans for a bit for some progress.

But he is very entertaining. Many people have pointed out how Fox News will run a story and then Trump will tweet about it or mention it in a speech. The idea of sticking a plant in Fox News to turn him liberal since he'll go with anything they tell him is pretty funny.
Old 02-14-2017, 03:22 PM   #1647
Tsung
Yosemite?
Repeat Contributor

Quote:
I like last week tonight but I don't watch because I feel like he's part of the political problems he parodies, making him a hypocrite, and that people need to lay off the republicans for a bit for some progress.
That onus shouldn't be on the satirist, though. The problem is when people can't distinguish between news and editorializing, and the fix shouldn't be to dumb things down further. LWT has been pretty good even before all the Trump stuff, but I get that you can't just ignore the wealth of material.

Old 02-14-2017, 03:42 PM   #1648
skeletalpeacock
Takes Credit & Dank Meme
Repeat Contributor

Quote:
That onus shouldn't be on the satirist, though. The problem is when people can't distinguish between news and editorializing, and the fix shouldn't be to dumb things down further. LWT has been pretty good even before all the Trump stuff, but I get that you can't just ignore the wealth of material.
When he was really fresh on and sort of explaining various government backed scams like civil forfeiture I was an addict. It was an original product.

Now it's still pretty fine but the leftwing snarky satirist market is so oversaturated that I can't be bothered to do anything but watch highlights on YouTube. Does anyone really have the time to watch Colbert ( yes I know he's way different now but still) and Samantha Bee and Jon Oliver and every single celebrity twitter feed and SNL? Is all of that really necessary? And I'm sure there's way more I'm forgetting.

It definitely isn't helping our divided America. By all means, meme about the big ones like what a greaseball spicer is or imaginary massacres ( god tier material there). But having the whole premise of a cabal of entertainment be "the right is dumb lol" isn't something I want to support. I don't think it's censoring or dumbing down to pull back off them a bit. It would be if the MSM backed off, but not leisure shows.

It's a niche opinion and by all means watch whatever you want. Just explaining my position further.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:19 AM   #1649
skeletalpeacock
Takes Credit & Dank Meme
Repeat Contributor

Lul.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AriFleisc...93450332499969
Old 02-15-2017, 05:13 AM   #1650
JonasDash
ALL GLORY TO HYPNOTOAD
Contributor

JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.

Brown dudes in Guantanamo aren't exactly cooperating, but somehow intel gets out to the US Gov't about terrorism after 'meetings' with interrogators U.S. Intelligence Officials

Donny runs a tight ship, surely no loose lips there. No way someone could be compromised. It's all fine.

The match of the century, absence versus thin air

Wagers

JonasDash is offline   Reply With Quote