Texas Magic Zone  

Go Back   Texas Magic Zone > Other Stuff > Gamer Blogs!

Old 12-18-2013, 11:46 AM   #1
Weazy
Punter
Contributor

Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?
Default The Chronicles of Weazy

Might as well start one of these since I'm on here and haven't been shy about sharing opinions / observations. Not to mention this gives me a place to capture MTG and other related musings in one place.

I want to get better at limited formats and will try to draft more and post caps for comments / observations. I think that's one of the best ways to learn.

I'd also like to improve at constructed (standard / modern) which may begin with quenching my desire to brew rogue decks on my own and try to jam them into tier 1 decks designed be people that know what the hell they're actually doing. I think I've vastly improved in terms of play recently but I can attribute that to the advice and guidance I've gotten from friends that play better than me and who have all been playing much longer.

In 2014 I'm setting a goal to attend at least 4 GPs. I've attended 4 so far over the past few years and have had a really good time at all of them, despite never making a day 2. Which I want to do in 2014 - day 2 a GP. I think my best shot is to day 2 constructed becuase I'm not great at limited (still a lot to learn RE: deckbuilding / evaluating cards and synergies among the pool) but I'm actively trying to improve. I might shoot for a few SGC Open tourneys but I'm not going out of my way for one of those. I'll also be attending as many local (~ 4 hr drive) PTQs as possible. So, I may see you around at one of these events in the coming year. If so, don't hesitiate to say hi if we haven't met before.
Weazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:51 AM   #2
Athos
Look at this stuff...

Athos , waysr?Athos , waysr?Athos , waysr?Athos , waysr?Athos , waysr?Athos , waysr?Athos , waysr?Athos , waysr?Athos , waysr?Athos , waysr?Athos , waysr?
Send a message via AIM to Athos
Default Re: The Chronicles of Weazy

asl?

pics?
Athos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:26 PM   #3
Trey
Wanna-be Pro

Trey , waysr?Trey , waysr?Trey , waysr?Trey , waysr?Trey , waysr?Trey , waysr?Trey , waysr?Trey , waysr?Trey , waysr?Trey , waysr?Trey , waysr?

You totally failed in the name of this blog. It should have been "Weazy, it's the big one!"
Trey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:29 PM   #4
Weazy
Punter
Contributor

Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?Weazy , waysr?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athos View Post
asl?

pics?
A: i prefer 18+ for legal reasons
S: Yes, please
L: most anywhere

Pics: I don't like having evidence floating around

DTF?
Old 12-18-2013, 12:35 PM   #5
Weazy
Punter
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey View Post
You totally failed in the name of this blog. It should have been "Weazy, it's the big one!"
Ha! Yeah, missed opportunity.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:45 PM   #6
GodzillaScott
Hiding in fog.

GodzillaScott , waysr?GodzillaScott , waysr?GodzillaScott , waysr?GodzillaScott , waysr?GodzillaScott , waysr?GodzillaScott , waysr?GodzillaScott , waysr?GodzillaScott , waysr?GodzillaScott , waysr?GodzillaScott , waysr?GodzillaScott , waysr?

I can change the title if you would like...
GodzillaScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 03:20 PM   #7
Weazy
Punter
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodzillaScott View Post
I can change the title if you would like...
Nah. Thanks though.
Old 12-18-2013, 04:11 PM   #8
Weazy
Punter
Contributor

An example of my aformentioned penchant for swimming against the current when playing decks. This is what I took to Dallas for the GP. My record was pretty bad (2-3 drop). I'm not going to make excuses about bad draws, misplays, etc. I didn't play well and believe I could have done a lot better with the deck. I did punt pretty bad in R3 when I was 2-0 against BW midrange and the wheels came off after that. Once I was 2-2, my other buddies were in side events having fun and I ended up playing against a friend of a friend, got stuck without a 3rd color G3 and scooped to him pretty quickly. I didn't have any interest in grinding out the rest of the tourney if I went X-3.

Deck
[creatures]
4voice of resurgance
4fleecemane lion
2loxodon smiter
4boros reckoner
1scavenging ooze
1boon satyr
2polukranos

[spells]
3chained to the rocks
3boros charm
4lightning strike
2mizzium mortars
3selesnya charm
3advent of the wurm
[lands]
1forest
2mountain
1plains
4sacred foundry
4stomping groud
4temple garden
4temple of abandon
4temple of triumph
[sideboard]
1chained to the rocks
1gruul charm
2skylasher
2pithing needle
2mizzium mortars
1boros charm
2wear / tear
1xenagos, the revealer
2assemble the legion
1anger of the gods

My thought process when building the deck was something along the lines of:

- I want pressure for the midrange / control decks where I can hold back and not have to empty my hand to have threats they have to deal with while having solid defensive bodies agaisnt aggro decks - thus the creature base
- I want some degree of resiliency / flash - thus the voice / advent / charms
- I wanted 4 x lightning strike - i thought it was underplayed and it would be solid against a lot of decks - especially when you expect to see nightveil in all the U and B devotion decks.
- Mortars / Chain / S Charm - the naya control removal suite - answered just about everything I could expect from the meta. I wanted to keep devotion low against devotion decks and have outs to Baron.
- I tried soldier of the panthoen but liked 4 x voice / fleecemane better in this deck

In retrospect I like the build a lot. It had a lot of play against a lot of decks. I lost to mono U (where he just drew all the answers to everything in my hand - eg 3 x recokner w/ no removal and he draws 4 x tidebinder - that just happens sometimes), BW to a misplay and GW to mana screw. I beat some weird RWB midrage deck and had a bye. Pretty poor results for my little concoction. I should have kept playing but I wanted to jump into side events and shake off the pressure of not having to lose again for the rest of the day.

So, where could I improve this deck including adjusting my thought process above?

Would I play it again? I think so with a few tweaks.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:06 AM   #9
Trey
Wanna-be Pro

Trey , waysr?Trey , waysr?Trey , waysr?Trey , waysr?Trey , waysr?Trey , waysr?Trey , waysr?Trey , waysr?Trey , waysr?Trey , waysr?Trey , waysr?

Ok, so why do you like playing decks like this rather than proven decks?
Trey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:29 AM   #10
MagicalHack
Colonel Angus
Contributor

MagicalHack , waysr?MagicalHack , waysr?MagicalHack , waysr?MagicalHack , waysr?MagicalHack , waysr?MagicalHack , waysr?MagicalHack , waysr?MagicalHack , waysr?MagicalHack , waysr?MagicalHack , waysr?MagicalHack , waysr?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey View Post
Ok, so why do you like playing decks like this rather than proven decks?
Brewing is fun...I did a lot of it back in the day before I just gave up entirely on constructed.

Sam Black didn't pop out of the womb making sick decks.

Weazy you need to make a friend like you, build a gauntlet of the meta-game, and start establishing for yourself whether or not your brews are viable. Helps if the person is a) good at magic (so you don't get overly skewed results) and b) your friend (so they'll put up with your ridiculous ideas.)
MagicalHack is offline   Reply With Quote