Texas Magic Zone  

Go Back   Texas Magic Zone > Magic the Gathering > Magic General Discussion

Old 04-07-2015, 02:39 PM   #501
moakley
Expert
Contributor

moakley , waysr?moakley , waysr?moakley , waysr?moakley , waysr?moakley , waysr?moakley , waysr?moakley , waysr?moakley , waysr?moakley , waysr?moakley , waysr?moakley , waysr?
Default Re: Premier Play Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia Jupe View Post
RTR - liked this one. guilds felt pretty balanced with exception of shitty golgari. could still play 3rd colors occasionally and it was fine
GTC - not a fan. had to be 2 colors and hope your neighbors werent in guild and you got the nuts.
DGM - explained before, full block i liked a lot.
I disagree about RTR. My experience was that Golgari was bad, but Izzet was unplayable. If you were the only Izzet drafter at the table, you'd still need to splash for Auger Spree. Compare to triple GTC. Dimir was the clear worst guild, but if it was open you could build a strong deck.

To me, the beauty of DGR (my favorite format) was that you had to force Gatecrash guilds, but you had to read signals for Return to Ravnica guilds. Once I learned that, I enjoyed it a lot.
moakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 02:53 PM   #502
Cecilia Jupe
Big Mac
Contributor

Cecilia Jupe is untouchable.Cecilia Jupe is untouchable.Cecilia Jupe is untouchable.Cecilia Jupe is untouchable.Cecilia Jupe is untouchable.Cecilia Jupe is untouchable.Cecilia Jupe is untouchable.Cecilia Jupe is untouchable.Cecilia Jupe is untouchable.Cecilia Jupe is untouchable.Cecilia Jupe is untouchable.
Send a message via AIM to Cecilia Jupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by moakley View Post
I disagree about RTR. My experience was that Golgari was bad, but Izzet was unplayable. If you were the only Izzet drafter at the table, you'd still need to splash for Auger Spree. Compare to triple GTC. Dimir was the clear worst guild, but if it was open you could build a strong deck.
i literally forced izzet for the first month of RTR including the top 8 of a ptq i won.

Quote:
To me, the beauty of DGR (my favorite format) was that you had to force Gatecrash guilds, but you had to read signals for Return to Ravnica guilds. Once I learned that, I enjoyed it a lot.
yeah i disagree with bing about signals being hard to read. it was really about evaluating the strentghs of the RTR guilds vs the strengths of the GTC guilds. most people seemed to undervalue the 3rd pack cards, so you could "read the signal" and play one or two of those and be set. GTC had plenty of playable mono color cards to fill out the picks. lots of fun. would draft again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Master View Post
Stop being an ass.
Cecilia Jupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 03:10 PM   #503
binger
You know who this is
Repeat Contributor

binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.

I have a box of RGD sitting at home if there's interest.

I think I was messing around too much with 4-5 color and getting crushed by 2 color Will.dec in that format.

binger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 03:28 PM   #504
moakley
Expert
Contributor

moakley , waysr?moakley , waysr?moakley , waysr?moakley , waysr?moakley , waysr?moakley , waysr?moakley , waysr?moakley , waysr?moakley , waysr?moakley , waysr?moakley , waysr?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia Jupe View Post
i literally forced izzet for the first month of RTR including the top 8 of a ptq i won.
I just don't get it. I must be missing something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binger View Post
I have a box of RGD sitting at home if there's interest.
Interested. Best format.
Old 04-07-2015, 03:31 PM   #505
binger
You know who this is
Repeat Contributor

binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.binger is untouchable.

Force the worst guild and get rewarded because nobody else wants it.

Old 04-07-2015, 03:44 PM   #506
TheYeti
Wanna-be Pro

TheYeti , waysr?TheYeti , waysr?TheYeti , waysr?TheYeti , waysr?TheYeti , waysr?TheYeti , waysr?TheYeti , waysr?TheYeti , waysr?TheYeti , waysr?TheYeti , waysr?TheYeti , waysr?

Oo I'd do a RGD draft. I wish I played Magic when I was younger.

TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 03:53 PM   #507
binger
You know who this is
Repeat Contributor

New RGD, not old RGD.

Old 04-07-2015, 03:56 PM   #508
binger
You know who this is
Repeat Contributor

I just looked through my collection to see what other full formats I had.

In addition to RGD, I have a box or R and a box of D. A box of Theros block, a box of Theros, Born, and Avacyn.

I also have a box of Fate, which is ironic because we drafted triple Dragons over the weekend because nobody had Fate.

Old 04-07-2015, 04:01 PM   #509
skeletalpeacock
Takes Credit & Dank Meme
Repeat Contributor

skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.
Send a message via AIM to skeletalpeacock

new RGD is called DGR bro

man, my hopes :-/
skeletalpeacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 04:03 PM   #510
moakley
Expert
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by binger View Post
I just looked through my collection to see what other full formats I had.

In addition to RGD, I have a box or R and a box of D. A box of Theros block, a box of Theros, Born, and Avacyn.

I also have a box of Fate, which is ironic because we drafted triple Dragons over the weekend because nobody had Fate.
You mean DGR. I have a box of G and R, and I plan to eventually pick up a box of Dragon's Maze, since I liked the format so much.

There were drafts over the weekend?