Texas Magic Zone  

Go Back   Texas Magic Zone > Magic the Gathering > Magic General Discussion

Old 08-04-2016, 03:40 PM   #751
grimlock
I'm On Big Brother!
Repeat Contributor

grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.grimlock is untouchable.
Send a message via AIM to grimlock Send a message via Skype™ to grimlock
Default Re: Premier Play Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia Jupe View Post
won't find that in the announcement at all.
And the wheel of integrity turns.
grimlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 03:51 PM   #752
skeletalpeacock
Takes Credit & Dank Meme
Repeat Contributor

skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.
Send a message via AIM to skeletalpeacock

Can anybody possibly oppose that change? Sounds great other than it should be in a giant announcement on the front page
skeletalpeacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 04:13 PM   #753
lazarusl
grandpa
Repeat Contributor

lazarusl , waysr?lazarusl , waysr?lazarusl , waysr?lazarusl , waysr?lazarusl , waysr?lazarusl , waysr?lazarusl , waysr?lazarusl , waysr?lazarusl , waysr?lazarusl , waysr?lazarusl , waysr?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia Jupe View Post
thats not what was being referred to. the bracket is 5vs8 6vs7, winners play 3 and 4, winners play 1 and 2, winners play each other.

the round 15 and 16 pairings is being done manually so that players playing for invites, platinum, wmc captain spots, etc. are paired vs each other so they don't get scooped into these benefits. won't find that in the announcement at all.
Sam Pardee tweeted the announcement handed out to players at the PT. He claimed it "lowers the equity of every single person in the tournament." I don't get how he can make that claim - it only hurts you if you have the opportunity to scoop into a better finish, and helps if you are in a position where you need to win & hope someone else loses. I get his point that you don't know who's in which position before the tournament starts, but you know some number of people will be in each group, so it doesn't lower everyone's equity. Maybe it lowers the equity of all well-known & networked players who can count on friendly scoops? I'm not sure the rules should favor that group over the rest.

https://twitter.com/Smdster/status/761105267366821889

EDIT: Guess this explains the total equity falling point:
"Philipp Drohberg ‏@pDrohberg 5h5 hours ago
@ABoncher @Smdster people playing for an invite get paired together, so less invites will be given out in total. same with other goals."

Last edited by lazarusl; 08-04-2016 at 04:46 PM.
lazarusl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 04:47 PM   #754
skeletalpeacock
Takes Credit & Dank Meme
Repeat Contributor

skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.skeletalpeacock is untouchable.

I can't think of a reasonable way in which it lowers the equity of everybody in the room.

I'm with you. It only matters if you counted on scoop equity. Im pretty happy about this rule. They rarely pass rules that might hurt their pros. I feel like this one is a response to the community outrage over that article where big douchebag efro had the stones to demean a player for refusing to scoop to him because, and I'll paraphrase, "it was a huge loss on his equity in future tournaments when he chose not to scoop".

Shit, we all know quid pro quo is a deep part of magic but how arrogant. Nobody has to scoop to you because you're playing for a ranking. You got your wish, bitch. You will never have to lose to somebody "not playing for anything" ever again. Fucking Rekt.
Old 08-04-2016, 04:52 PM   #755
lazarusl
grandpa
Repeat Contributor

lazarusl , waysr?lazarusl , waysr?lazarusl , waysr?lazarusl , waysr?lazarusl , waysr?lazarusl , waysr?lazarusl , waysr?lazarusl , waysr?lazarusl , waysr?lazarusl , waysr?lazarusl , waysr?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeletalpeacock View Post
I can't think of a reasonable way in which it lowers the equity of everybody in the room.

I'm with you. It only matters if you counted on scoop equity. Im pretty happy about this rule. They rarely pass rules that might hurt their pros. I feel like this one is a response to the community outrage over that article where big douchebag efro had the stones to demean a player for refusing to scoop to him because, and I'll paraphrase, "it was a huge loss on his equity in future tournaments when he chose not to scoop".

Shit, we all know quid pro quo is a deep part of magic but how arrogant. Nobody has to scoop to you because you're playing for a ranking. You got your wish, bitch. You will never have to lose to somebody "not playing for anything" ever again. Fucking Rekt.
Think my edit sporked you - I can't confirm whether that's correct, haven't kept up with the many changes in who gets invites/pro pts but vaguely think it's not related to standings any longer but instead to match points.
Old 08-04-2016, 04:55 PM   #756
skeletalpeacock
Takes Credit & Dank Meme
Repeat Contributor

Wait, what? Isn't invite just a ranking then they give them out? Werent people already in top 8 or 16 contention already being paired?

Captain facing captain also makes no sense. There will always be only one captain slot.

Platinum versus platinum makes no sense. Perhaps you have to play another tournament now, but why are you grinding plat if you are gonna be a bitch about playing somebody good deep into a tournament? I think your goals need some reevaluation.

Lmao. Just looked at the Twitter page. The reasons right out of the pros mouths for why "it's unfair" are losing concessions from friends and having to play a hard opponent. You've got to be kidding me.
Old 08-04-2016, 04:58 PM   #757
skeletalpeacock
Takes Credit & Dank Meme
Repeat Contributor

Im ecstatic that they're fixing free wins for pros. It's bullshit. Play the damn game.

But you know what the biggest cop out of all is? Byes. Let me get this straight- some guy just won a pro tour. So now every time he plays a Grand Prix, he gets 3 free wins. Why don't you just get Kobe a fucking stepladder.

You want to talk about adding game integrity? Quit supplementing your prize support with matches pros don't have to play, and open your wallet instead.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:12 PM   #758
JonasDash
ALL GLORY TO HYPNOTOAD
Contributor

JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.JonasDash is untouchable.

I know Ty is going to love this.

The match of the century, absence versus thin air

Wagers

JonasDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:43 PM   #759
skeletalpeacock
Takes Credit & Dank Meme
Repeat Contributor

Epic.
Old 08-05-2016, 11:11 AM   #760
sage.sam
I'm yer huckleberry
Repeat Contributor

sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?sage.sam , waysr?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeletalpeacock View Post
They rarely pass rules that might hurt their pros. I feel like this one is a response to the community outrage over that article where big douchebag efro had the stones to demean a player for refusing to scoop to him because, and I'll paraphrase, "it was a huge loss on his equity in future tournaments when he chose not to scoop".

I wish it would let me rep this, but I can't... so I'll just quote it.
sage.sam is offline   Reply With Quote